Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cpaysinger
Regular Visitor

Simple Line Chart Help Please

HI, I have been struggling with this for a while now and cannot figure it out. In the first picture below I have created a simple line chart, but the x axis is always out of order. In my data view (second picture below) the data is sorted by the week of the year column which goes from 1 to 52, but when I go back to chart it is always out of order starting with 1 then 10 then jumping to 2 or 4 see below. Any ideas please help!

Thank you in advance,

Casey

Line graph for help.PNGLine graph for help 2.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Washivale
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi,

Check two things as below.

1. if your data type is integer, if not, please change it to int.

2. on the chart formatting option ensure you have x-Axis type Categorical.

Hi Washivale,

I did not see an interger selection on the data type, just a whole number, so that is what I selected. Then when changing my x axis to categorical, it still out put the numbers on the x axis all messed up see below.

Capture2.PNG

Hello Casey,

Whole Number is what we need, sorry for confusing Integer part.

can you also check sort settings of the graph, from top right corner of the visualSort elipsis.JPG

Capture3.PNG

On my graph it doe snot have a settings just what is pictured below:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your Week of the Year column text or whole number datatype?

Hi Nick thanks for the reply. I changed my week of the year column to a whole number datatype and it came out really funky see below. It finally came in order as far as the x axis where the numbers are now sequential, but the graph looks really weird???Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.