Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Simple Filter - Calculating Total Transaction Sales in Calculated Column

Hi,

This Simple Formula isnt working. Anyone have any ideas on how to to get the whole ticket transaction sum in a calculated column?

Thanks!

Ticket Total Sales = calculate([Net Revenue],
    filter(Sales,Sales[transactionid]=Sales[transactionid]))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @ModernAchilles

It's hard to say with the info you provide. You should show the tables in your data model and explain with an example based on your sample data what result you now get (error message? wrong number?) and what you would expect to get.

What is [Net Revenue], a measure? If so, please do show its code as it might be important to solve the issue.

I don't know what you mean by the whole ticket transaction sum. Although it's a shot in the dark, try this:

Ticket Total Sales =
CALCULATE (
    [Net Revenue],
    FILTER ( Sales, Sales[transactionid] = EARLIER ( Sales[transactionid] ) )
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @ModernAchilles

It's hard to say with the info you provide. You should show the tables in your data model and explain with an example based on your sample data what result you now get (error message? wrong number?) and what you would expect to get.

What is [Net Revenue], a measure? If so, please do show its code as it might be important to solve the issue.

I don't know what you mean by the whole ticket transaction sum. Although it's a shot in the dark, try this:

Ticket Total Sales =
CALCULATE (
    [Net Revenue],
    FILTER ( Sales, Sales[transactionid] = EARLIER ( Sales[transactionid] ) )
)

Hi @AlB

That is exactly what I need. I was looking for the whole ticket transaction for my rows and it wasn't calculating correctly. That earlier function is interesting... I'll have to dig into that one. 

Wow, thank you so much, I've been trying to find a solution all morning and last night. I really appreciate it!

Thanks again!

@ModernAchilles

No worries Smiley Happy

What EARLIER does is give you the value in the previous row context. Note that since this is a calculated column, when FILTER( ) is executing you have  two row contexts:

- Row context 1 (outer) : the row context that you generally have in the current row of your table Sales

- Row context 2 (inner) : the row context that FILTER( ) creates when scanning the Sales table

EARLIER gives you access to the outer row context from inside FILTER( ). You scan Sales in FILTER and want to select only rows in which Sales[transactionid] in row context 2 is equal to the value of Sales[transactionid] in row context 1.

If you don't want to use EARLIER, which some people dislike, you can also obtain the same result with variables. This might actually be more intuitive:

Ticket Total Sales =
VAR _CurrentId = Sales[transactionid]
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( [Net Revenue], FILTER ( Sales, Sales[transactionid] = _CurrentId ) )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.