Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shere100
Helper II
Helper II

Simple Calculation required

Hi, I need to do some simple percentage calaculation on two columns. 

Not Started56
Pass20
Fail2
Total Work Items78

I need to display the percentage of success rate. I.e the calculation would be 20 (pass) / 56 (not started) * 100.

Can you please talk me through the process. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @shere100 

You may create a measure with COUNTX Function.For example:

Measure 2 =
COUNTX (
    FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), 'Table'[Test Result] = "Pass" ),
    'Table'[Test Result]
)
    / COUNTX (
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), 'Table'[Test Result] = "Not Started" ),
        'Table'[Test Result]
    )

1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shere100 

You may create a measure and then set the measure's format %.

Measure =
SUMX ( FILTER ( Table2, Table2[Status] = "Pass" ), Table2[Value] )
    / SUMX ( FILTER ( Table2, Table2[Status] = "Not Started" ), Table2[Value] )

1.png

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the above, much appreciated.

The values in the orignal post are based not from the raw data but from the filters selected on a visual and the results displayed

How do I then use the measure on the filtered values? If I use the query you have kindly provided me this will not calculate the totals for each status and then measure the totals? 

Or how would I calculate the results from the raw data then use the measure calculation you have provided?

Hi @shere100 

You may try to use ALLSELECTED Function.For example:

Measure =
SUMX (
    FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Table2 ), Table2[Status] = "Pass" ),
    Table2[Value]
)
    / SUMX (
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Table2 ), Table2[Status] = "Not Started" ),
        Table2[Value]
    )

Regards,

Hi, thanks for the response. I get the following message.

Error Message:
MdxScript(Model) (28, 5) Calculation error in measure 'Test Result 2'[Measure 6]: The function SUMX cannot work with values of type String.

To clarify I need to calculate the sum for a status that has string values.  The above message appears when I attempt to run the measure.

@v-cherch-msft wrote:

Hi @shere100 

You may try to use ALLSELECTED Function.For example:

Measure =
SUMX (
    Table2[Value]
)
    / SUMX (
        Table2[Value]
    )

Regards,

Hi @shere100 

The error is because the Table2[Value] column's type is text.Please check if this [Value] column's type is whole number.If it is not your case,please paste the simplified data sample and expected output like below article 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly.

Regards,

screenshot.PNG

Hi, I am trying to do a count on Test Result column where the total = 'pass' divide by the count of the Test Result column where the total = 'not started' to give the percentage.

Is the above possible to do? or do I need to create an if statement on new column if the data from test Result = 'pass' then place a 1 otherwise place 0, then to do a count on all '0' and '1'. Then create a new meaure and complete the calculation? 

If the above method is correct how do I create a new column from the data set from the query? or do I create a new table and then point to the table that has the source data?

Hi @shere100 

You may create a measure with COUNTX Function.For example:

Measure 2 =
COUNTX (
    FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), 'Table'[Test Result] = "Pass" ),
    'Table'[Test Result]
)
    / COUNTX (
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), 'Table'[Test Result] = "Not Started" ),
        'Table'[Test Result]
    )

1.png

Regards,

For the measure that you kindly provided me with, can you please provide an example  of an if statement from the column 'Teams' = 'Content Support' to then run the measure calculation.

I need to embed the IF statement where the data is applicable to a specific team only.

Hi @shere100 

You may create a measure like below.If you need other help,I would suggest you create a new thread on forum so that more community members can see it and provide advice. Please remember to post dummy data and desired result.Kindly mark my answer as a solution for this thread.

Measure =
COUNTX (
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
        'Table'[Test Result] = "Pass"
            && 'Table'[Team] = 'Content Support'
    ),
    'Table'[Test Result]
)

Regards,

Apologies,

Currently the measure is 'Pass' / 'Not Started'.

How would I amend so that it is a'Pass' / 'Not Started + 'Pass' and incorporate in to the measure?

Measure =
SUMX (
    Table2[Value]
)
    / SUMX (
        Table2[Value]
    )

Hi, can you please advise?

Hi @shere100 

You could use || .For example:

Table2[Status] = "Not Started"||Table2[Status] = "Pass"

Regards, 

Many thanks , the calculation is now showing correctly.

Thats absolutely brilliant, that works perfectly. 

Final question, if I have a visual from one query can I use that query to add an another visual i.e for the measure I have created? or do I need to create a seperate query and then insert the measure?

The formula works for numbers in a column but I need to calculate the sum value of string values in a column. 

Please advise.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.