Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

inm
Helper II
Helper II

Sigma symbol is missing, I can't summarize

Hello.

I don't know what is happening. I can't summarize any column, sigma symbol is missing and I have summarize option selected. Does anyone have an idea how I can make the symbol appear so I can summarize?

These columns are number types and still sigma symbol is missing.

Superior.png

Lateral.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Look what I found :

https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor/issues/544

It seems to be "by design" 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
华宇秋实
Regular Visitor

我没有使用计算组功能,但也发生了此问题.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @inm ,

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Does this situation exists only in current .Pbix file or any .Pbix file?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

@negi007 I can't. But thank you.

@v-jayw-msft Only in the current .pbix file. But I tried to do it in another file, at first the sigma symbol appeared and in some time it stopped appearing. Yes, I'm using the lastest version.

I need to know what I'm doing wrong, because I start to create measures and I get distracted, when I see again all the sigmas  symbols disappear and I cannot summarize.

I have the same problem. Field is set to summarize and is a decimal number, but the sigma won't appear and when I drag it to make a visual it creates a table and shows distinct values of the data.

By any chance, are you using Calculation Groups through Tabular Editor ?

@bergerlu Yes, I'm using calculation gruoups through tabular editor. I was wondering if it could be related to that.

I have reproduced the issue, I can confirm that it is caused by the Calculation Group from Tabular Editor

Look what I found :

https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor/issues/544

It seems to be "by design" 

Hi,

What if I have no Calculation groups and still have this problem?

I encountered the same issue. So I can no longer drag a (previous) sigma symbol data value into the value field of a matrix or a watefall after I experimented with Calculation Group. 

Is there a way to undo this? I get that this is due to the DiscourageImplicitMeasures being set to false. Is there an option to revert back? 

@dharsanj you have to remove every calculation group created before and then change property Discourage Implicit Measures.

discourage.png

You are brilliant and you make my day easy and your answer was direct and straightforward. 
thank you 

Thanks. That worked. 

sh*t, ok finally an explanation, THANKS for the insight:  if you use calculation groups no more implicit measures (sigma symbol)

@bergerlu Thank you very much for teaching me that, I was disturbed not knowing why sigma symbol disappeared.

@PaulDBrown I thought that somehow the fact that it was in measure increased the loading time a bit and I wanted to decrease it.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@inm , Even without that symbol you can do that. Just click on the column and in the column tools give default summarization. On the right of the box in screenshot

Data Format New Rib.png

This helped me figure out what actually was the issue. If you want that summarization option click on the desired column and then change the DATA TYPE and FORMAT to a NUMBER value, chances are, Power BI recognized whatever you put in the column as TEXT instead. 🙂 Hope this helps someone

@amitchandak @Greg_Deckler Thanks for answering. I have Whole number format selected, I'm trying to count number of cases some person has. I don't have the option Default summarization.

Recount.png

I don't want to have every number associated with a person, but the number of numbers.

I know that I can use measures, the problem is that I have many and it takes a while to take, even in a table it runs out of available resources.

@inm - Maybe try distinct count? I'm not sure what I am looking at. Are you summarizing name?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I'm summarization numbers (like distinct count(APP_NUMBER) group by name), I have already tried distinct count. 

By default it is selected in column tools to do a distinct count, but it does not. I am trying to use the number of different times per day on area chart, but it won't let move APP_NUMBER to values, it stays in legend. APP_NUMBER is a whole number.

foto.png

Any choice it's working for me.

otra.png

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@inm Have your tried creating a calculated measure like Count_App = DISTINCTCOUNT(appnumber). Once you create this measure, you can put in the value field. Measure will have calculator icon aginast it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.