Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Sigma symbol is missing, I can't summarize

Hello.

I don't know what is happening. I can't summarize any column, sigma symbol is missing and I have summarize option selected. Does anyone have an idea how I can make the symbol appear so I can summarize?

These columns are number types and still sigma symbol is missing.

Superior.png

Lateral.png

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@inm I hope you do not have any null/text/special character values in your data. is it possible for you to share the data for this particular column.

Highlighted

@negi007 I have checked it and I don't have any special/null/text data. When I loaded the data at first it appeared to me, I was adding things to the report and it stopped appearing the symbol. This is not happening in just that column, it's happening in every whole number column.

Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@inm pl. share your data if you can in text/excel file. Can't comment anything without looking at the data.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @inm ,

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Does this situation exists only in current .Pbix file or any .Pbix file?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Highlighted

@negi007 I can't. But thank you.

@v-jayw-msft Only in the current .pbix file. But I tried to do it in another file, at first the sigma symbol appeared and in some time it stopped appearing. Yes, I'm using the lastest version.

I need to know what I'm doing wrong, because I start to create measures and I get distracted, when I see again all the sigmas  symbols disappear and I cannot summarize.

Highlighted

I have the same problem. Field is set to summarize and is a decimal number, but the sigma won't appear and when I drag it to make a visual it creates a table and shows distinct values of the data.

By any chance, are you using Calculation Groups through Tabular Editor ?

Highlighted

@bergerlu Yes, I'm using calculation gruoups through tabular editor. I was wondering if it could be related to that.

Highlighted

I have reproduced the issue, I can confirm that it is caused by the Calculation Group from Tabular Editor

Highlighted

Look what I found :

https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor/issues/544

It seems to be "by design" 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@inm 

I have never, ever, used the default "summarize" value for a column. In fact, I make a point of turning them all off. It is actually considered a "best practice" I believe. 
Use measures instead.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors