Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mrooney
Frequent Visitor

Showing % utilization of a resource

Hi, I've a fixed Excel template which is populated as per the below.

Once imported into Power BI I'm trying to show utilization per enigneer for each month/quarter (or whatever period is filtered.) If we say we want to set a limit of 80% utilization in a month, meaning no one would go over 128hrs - based on there being 160hrs in a month on average.

The way the sheet is split up doesn't help as a resource may have some hours under Project 1 for February and then some more under Project 3 for Feb also. So working out the total hours assigned per month and then the utilization percentage figure is provining a real pain to sort...

Anyone got any guidance? I've read a few posts on here but it seems really complex - hopefully showing my data below will help:(The vlaue columns is the amount of hours)

Example.png 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Mrooney,

If you want to calculated the total hours for each month or quarter, then you can use ALLEXCEPT function, it removes all context filters in the table except filters that have been applied to the specified columns. The sample DAX for you reference
MonthTotal=CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Value]),ALLEXCEPT(Table,Table[Resource],Table[Month]))

Reference
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634795.aspx

Regards,

Charlie Liao

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mrooney,

As I can understand you want to find the percentage per month / resource in the visuals you can chose the option quick calc on the value instead of the sum or count, this gives the option to calculate over total, grand total,...

If you have every values time / resource on your visual it gives what you want, you then can add a trend line wuth fixed value 80%and see who is off.

Regards
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MrooneyCan you copy and paste the data from the image - ignore any warning you may get - click post again! Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.