Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sfmike99
Advocate II
Advocate II

Showing totals and slicer selections in bar chart

The other day I accidentally stumbled across something interesting: if I change my slicers to tables, then the linked visuals will preserve the "pre-slicer" values for comparison. This is a very interesting view as it lets you quickly assess how much your selection differs from the whole population, but it only works if I'm using tables instead of slicers. This is similar to using the "ALL" function in DAX, except no coding required and the UI is taken care of. Is it possible to do the same thing with slicers using DAX? I know I could get the unfiltered data, but could I replicate that UI?

sfmike99_0-1611270646570.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sfmike99 

According to your description and sample picture, you said that when you changed your Slicer into a table chart, the visual displayed like this, right?

v-robertq-msft_0-1611654366379.png

I think you are talking about the highlight interaction in Power BI, you can check this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-reports-filters-and-highlighting

I don’t think it can be achieved if you are using Slicer in Power BI.

You can go to the Power BI Idea to post a new idea.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ah I think you're right. In fact the term I was looking for is "cross-highlighting" and it is one of the options when you edit interactions. Unfortunately it seems that option works for every visualization I tried except for slicers. This is too bad, because I think that is the easiest way to quickly compare your selection with the overall population. I will submit an idea.

sfmike99_0-1611676495523.png

Middle option is missing when the visualization is a Slicer 😞

Idea submitted: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=683ac540-f05f-eb11-8fed-501ac50aa35e

Hi, @sfmike99 

Yes, the interaction option is applied to almost all visuals except the Slicer in Power BI. I think it’s because the only function for Slicer is to slice the data at current. Maybe more types of data filtering tools will come out in the future in Power BI.

I’ve also voted for your idea.😁

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sfmike99 , You can use allexcept and all .

Assume measure is filtered

new measure = calculate([measure], allexcept(table, Table[region]) //only regional filter will apply

new measure = calculate([measure], all(table) // all filter will be removed

You can also create a tooltip page using these measure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Thank you @amitchandak . As I mentioned, I'm familiar with using ALL in measures, but I'm interested in recreating the UI that appears in the above examples. I know I can overlay a line to show all the data with the "Line and Stacked Column Chart": 

sfmike99_0-1611607608934.png

But is there a visualization that works like the one shown in my original post? That's what I'm looking for but without having to filter through a table.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.