Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

libinjoseph10

Showing total sales vale per month

I am newbie to PowerBi, but I have managed to get the data into powerbi through a web data source. The data imported was in json format and its been now formatted into table columns.

The data which I have imported have the sales details. that includes a column for sale date and sale amount. I would need to show a monthly sale report, which shows a bar graph with total sales amount for each month.

So what i Have done as far is, i dragged the sale date from the fields into the report panel, and then dragged the sale amount into column vales. I can see a graph, but it shows the total count rather than the sum. how do i achieve the sum?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, you can create a meassure and just create the aggregation YourMeassure = SUM(YourTable[YourColumn])

Then add your new meassure to your chart.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co

View solution in original post

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

You need to change your data type Decimal Numbers for Sales amount to be able to see the sum of the values. Text data types create the count of the transactions.

It would be better if you use explicit measure rather than implicit.

Right click on your table and select create new measure

Give suitable name to your measure and write this formula

mymeasure:=SUM(Table1[Sales Amount])

Hope this will solve your problem. Let me know if confused.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
diego_salinas

You can click on the arrow at the Value field and select Sum. And for th chart, you can use a Stacked Column Chart, and you need to drag and place your Date field into the Axis field of the chart, and your Sales Amount field into the Values field. Then, you can drill down/up the data within the chart, to show it as Year, Month, etc. 

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

You need to change your data type Decimal Numbers for Sales amount to be able to see the sum of the values. Text data types create the count of the transactions.

It would be better if you use explicit measure rather than implicit.

Right click on your table and select create new measure

Give suitable name to your measure and write this formula

mymeasure:=SUM(Table1[Sales Amount])

Hope this will solve your problem. Let me know if confused.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, you can create a meassure and just create the aggregation YourMeassure = SUM(YourTable[YourColumn])

Then add your new meassure to your chart.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.