Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing tooltip only for selected slicer value.

Hi

I have a slicer where values are 1,2,3,4,5 and i have a map visual which has a tooltip as Date. I want something like when user a selects a slicer value 3 then it should show date tooltip other wise tooltip should not be displayed.

Thanks,

Shubham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I see. Unfortunately, report tooltips don't work on custom visuals, see below from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Limitations and considerations

There are a few limitations and considerations for tooltips to keep in mind.

• Beginning with the December 2018 release of Power BI Desktop, Button visuals also support tooltips.
  • Report tooltips are not supported when viewing reports in mobile apps.
  • Report tooltips are not supported for custom visuals.
  • Clusters are not currently supported as fields that can be shown in report tooltips.
  • When choosing a field to be shown for report tooltips, when using a field versus a category, visuals that contain that field will only show the specified tooltip when summarization with the selected field matches.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

create a custom column with an IF condition and use this column as tooltip.

MyTooltipColumn =
IF ( TestTable[Column2] = 3; "My new tooltip"; BLANK () )
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

For other values it is showing as null, but i dont want to show tooltip for other values not even null. It should not get displayed.

Please check the following 2 screenshots. If Column2 == 3, then the tooltip is there, otherwise there are only other columns used in the chart.

But if you even want to remove the Column1 and Column2 from the tooltip window you have to create a report page tooltip. How to do that you can find unter https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Annotation 2019-02-26 123816.jpgAnnotation 2019-02-26 123840.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Nolock  for showing me the example.

It is clearly working on the other graphs but i am using Flow map and their it is showing null to me when selcted other values. 

Hi @Anonymous,

I see. Unfortunately, report tooltips don't work on custom visuals, see below from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Limitations and considerations

There are a few limitations and considerations for tooltips to keep in mind.

• Beginning with the December 2018 release of Power BI Desktop, Button visuals also support tooltips.
  • Report tooltips are not supported when viewing reports in mobile apps.
  • Report tooltips are not supported for custom visuals.
  • Clusters are not currently supported as fields that can be shown in report tooltips.
  • When choosing a field to be shown for report tooltips, when using a field versus a category, visuals that contain that field will only show the specified tooltip when summarization with the selected field matches.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.