Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonclay
Helper II
Helper II

Showing the Total of an Excel column in Power BI

Hi everyone

I have a Power BI report that mixes data from a SQL database with data from an Excel spreadsheet. I can get the totals to appear for the data from the SQL database, but I'm having problems showing the totals for the Excel data.

My report currently looks like this:

jonclay_1-1643383259981.png

The Excel spreadsheet looks like this, and it's the 6947 total for the column that I want to show in Power BI along with the rest of the totals:

jonclay_0-1643383169371.png

For some reason, the Power BI report is not picking up the total from the Excel spreadsheet.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Many thanks
Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @jonclay - I look like the Column contain the 90 is list of String/text values instead of a Measure.  You will only see Subtotals on the columns based on Measures.  So the first six columns in the Tables are not measures.   

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jonclay
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Daryl-Lynch-Bzy 

Of course, that's the answer!! Many many thanks for your help.

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @jonclay - I look like the Column contain the 90 is list of String/text values instead of a Measure.  You will only see Subtotals on the columns based on Measures.  So the first six columns in the Tables are not measures.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 23 2022 epsiode 5 without aka link.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Welcome to the Power BI Community Show! Jeroen ter Heerdt talks about the importance of Data Modeling.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through June10th!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 without aka link and time 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Watch Session 22 Ted's Dev Camp along with past sessions!

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!

Top Kudoed Authors