Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing pictures from SharePoint online attachments

I wanted to display an image in a Power BI report that was attached to a sharepoint list item. It is showing as broken.

However, if the user is already logged into sharepoint, then the images appear.

How can i get the images to appear without forcing the user to log onto sharepoint (before they run the report)?

I can access the URL by following these steps:

1. Open the Query Editor and find the column named AttachmentFiles

2.Expand the table with the double arrow and select ServerRelativeURL. This will give you a new column called AttachmentFiles.ServerRelativeURL 

3. Add a custom column to concat your Sharepoint URL and the Path like this ="https://mysite.sharepoint.com" & [AttachmentFiles.ServerRelativeUrl] 

4. Save and close the Query Editor

5. In the data table view, select the custom column you created and in the modeling tab select Data Category:Image URL

6. Add the custom column to your table/image visual

The image is showing as broken.

SP image.jpg

If the user is already logged into sharepoint, the images appear

SP image2.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem.
It worked fine after publishing the Desktop BI.
In the published version on Sharepoint I now can see my pictures - though still not on my Desktop version.

If you make a list with the direct path to the pictures on sharepoint - it's enough; 

No need to concatenate, then.
Best regards and luck 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is this problem of yours to load image into power bi from the Sharepoint site is solved. If there is any alternate solution for this issue kindly could you please let me know. 

I am also facing the same type of issue. I need to load the image from a sharepoint site. It is loaded into the sharepoint as an attachment. If i use the link into the Power BI As Image URL  it shows an broken image link. 

Please do let me know. Sharepoint image attachment reference.png

power bi image url load7-15-2019 4-27-59 PM.png

Same issue as @Anonymous .  Is there another thread with a solution for this?  Broken image icon when pulling in images from a sharepoint list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Petroclcat 

Try using Https with the image link as you construct them in the Query Editor / Joining in the Dax. This worked for me. 

Also if you are using the Sharepoint Online List from O365 means it will not work as the account which you used to login will not allow to you revalidate for fetching the images from the online list. 

Hope this helps. 

@Anonymous Makes sense.  Thank you for the information!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous hope this link help.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k 

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately, what you have suggested does not work, as the images I am working with as stored as attachment to an item in a SharePoint list.

sp attachment2.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors