Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing null instead of real value

Hi everybody.
Can you please help with my issue? I am completely stuck. Searching in the Internet didn`t give even any ideas. 

I am using CData connector to download data from Freshdesk to Power BI.
And I see very strange behaviour of Power BI. It shows me null values if I list all the rows, but if I filter to only 1 ID, it shows me real value. In any other cases(in diagrams, tables) always blank. I am talking about GroupIdsAggregate column.

wokroll_0-1630494416899.jpeg

Picture 1. Showing null in Power Query, same in Power BI

wokroll_1-1630494503440.jpeg

Picture 2. Wow, showing data

I have a thought that it may be encoding, but if filtered to one row - it shows. 

I am frustrated a lot. Thanks for any help. I don`t think that problem is with connector, because data is here, just isn`t showing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Is your desktop version up to date? Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

What are the data types of these columns in your source data? Probably because power query doesn't support this data type, the conversion is not successful, so it can't be displayed. When there is only one record, it will automatically convert it into a string.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Juventus

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you look into below steps once.

1. Remove all source files, except for the problematic one(s);

2. Load up your Power Query script and navigate to step 1 and

3. Enumerate through each step until you see the values disappear.

This will tell you which step fails. 

Regards,

Rakesh Js

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Is your desktop version up to date? Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

What are the data types of these columns in your source data? Probably because power query doesn't support this data type, the conversion is not successful, so it can't be displayed. When there is only one record, it will automatically convert it into a string.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems you are right. Maybe issue is because of API structure , if I query only 1 id, API returns me values. If I query whole list, it doesn`t return. I can`t understand how it refers to Power BI preview table, but anyway I found another way to circumvent this issue. That you guys for the anwsers.

What way to circumvent the issue? I have the same problem. SQl developer returns values. PowerBI returns null values but I know there are values associated.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

try refreshing your preview of dataset.

If you hide the null values, what are showing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer. I have only 60 rows, and they all shows blank in preview and in power bi table view. 
If I try to filter - I can see only blank values. Though they appear null in preview, if I filter to any ID it will show me blank string ("") or real value(some number). No duplicates or similar rows, I know it.
The row on first screenshot coloured grey has the same ID as on the second screenshot. So its the same data, same row. But it shows different values.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

The query editor shows a preview/subset of your data.  When you filter on the ID, you are previewing different rows (that have data).  Do you need the rows with null?  If not, you could filter to where that column <> null.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.