Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing multiple column values on one row

I have rows that contain arrays of data.  I know I can create a drilldown in a Matrix, but that becomes unreadable as there a many different column arrays and the arrays do not have set numbers of items.  I only need a rendition of the data in my visual:

ProjectNameProgrammersStart DatePrograms
Proj1AcctBob5/1/2019Enter
  Dave Modify
    Delete
Proj2InventoryJill10/1/2019Enter
  Susan Modify
  Dave Delete
    Print

Even if I separate the arrays into their own table, I still can only show one or I get an error if I try to create a LOOKUPVALUE on the table.  Any ideas on how to do this.

Note: these arrays come from [LIST] to [Record].

Thanks,

David

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous not sure if I understood your question correctly. Can you share sample data and expected output?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I'm still fairly new to this.  There is a relationship between the tables using Project.  I am using Power BI Desktop Aug 2018 due to server constraints.  I am attaching my tables and expected output.  I know I can expand the [Record] column, but that gives me duplicate records and I would like to avoid that or find a better way.  The Programmer column was originally a [Record] in the project table, but I moved it to it's own table.  I'm looking for advice and wisdom.  🙂

Tables.JPG

Thanks,

David

Hi @Anonymous 

The least I can  do on your scenario is something like this:

2019_11_06_17_30_35_Untitled_Power_BI_Desktop.png

This is to avoid the duplicates that you don't want.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKzzJU0lFyTE4uAVKm+ob6RgaGlkCma15JapFSrA4+Nb75KZlplQQUuaTmpJakwhUZAYU888pS80ryiyqBbEMDXHbiU4lmMz6lJNgfUJSZV6IUGwsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, Name = _t, #"Start Date" = _t, Programs = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Name", type text}, {"Start Date", type date}, {"Programs", type text}}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Programs", "Programs - Copy"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Duplicated Column", List.Distinct(#"Duplicated Column"[Programs]), "Programs", "Programs - Copy"),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Enter", "Modify", "Delete", "Print"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(", ", QuoteStyle.None),"Programs")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you're doing there, but unfortunately, the data I supplied is only "test" data.  In the live data I have multiple fields like "Programs" and "Programmer".  And the "Programs" is a free form field.  Although I think I could use what you have if you can share the visual you used and it's settings, please.

Thanks,

David

It is a MATRIX VISUAL. You can find it near the table visual. The only setting of he matrix that I changed is under the Row Values and I turned off the Stepped Layout.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.