Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing latest Refresh Date as a DateTimeZone (DateTimeZoneOffset) format in a Card - Power BI

I have a Date table in which i have created a `DateTimeZone` column that will show the DateTime in the particular Timezone e.g. `1/1/1901 9:08::24 AM -05:00` or as `1/1/1901 9:08::24 AM UTC-5`.

DateTimeZone issue.PNG

I am using this column to show the latest Refresh Date in a Card in Power BI.

DateTimeZone issue4.PNG

However, when i view the Date table in the Modelling tab, i see that the dates are shown as DateTime format and not as DateTimeZone format.

DateTimeZone issue1.PNG

On further investigation, a DateTimeZone format is also not listed in the Format or Data Type dropdowns.

DateTimeZone issue3.PNG

DateTimeZone issue2.PNG

How do i show the Date as a DateTimeZone format in the Card? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, it can't be updated automatically in power bi desktop without click the refresh button. Power bi desktop need to get the latest data from data source by click the refresh button, or it will use the data cached in the power bi desktop.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is no datetime zone format in date/time type in power bi model view. The only way to show datetime zone in card visual is to change the type to text in query editor.

Capture66.PNG

Capture67.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply @v-deddai1-msft . I finally concatenated the `DateTimeZone` value with "UTC-5" text to show on card. However, the problem is, this date table is a dataflow. It is not updating when i pull it in PBI Desktop and refresh the dataset. If i go back to the dataflow and open the table and see, the column gets refreshed to the latest UTC-5 datetimezone. Is there a way to refresh it to the correct datetimezone UTC-5 value in the PBI Desktop dataset when i refresh the whole dataset?

Hi @Anonymous , 

You can refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/powerbi/add-last-refresh-time?view=azure-devops to add a refresh date in power bi desktop:

#"Added Refresh Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"{tableid}_Table", "Refresh Date", 
        each DateTimeZone.FixedUtcNow(), type datetimezone)

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is for Azure. I am not a member of any project. Where do i add this `Refresh Date` column? Currently i have my `DateTimeZone` column added to the DateTable dataflow.

Hi @Anonymous ,

You want to get the refresh time when you click refresh option in power bi desktop, am I right? You can just create a new blank query :

let
    Source = DateTimeZone.FixedUtcNow(),
    #"Converted to Table" = #table(1, {{Source}})
in
    #"Converted to Table"

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

What i want is, it should automatically update in PBI Desktop without me having to click the Refresh button. The Dataflow is already refreshing online. But the PBI Desktop does not show the updated date.

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, it can't be updated automatically in power bi desktop without click the refresh button. Power bi desktop need to get the latest data from data source by click the refresh button, or it will use the data cached in the power bi desktop.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.