Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBIAnalist
Regular Visitor

Showing Totals Without negative amounts per customer

Hi, 

I'm trying to calculated how much rent people still have to pay and total rent that still has to be paid by all customers. This should not include any total rents per customer that have to be paid which are negative. 

As example, I have the following start table: 

CustomerDateLate rentPrepaid rent
C0131-5-20215000
C0131-5-2021050
C0231-5-2021060
C0331-5-20216000
C0331-5-20210400
C0130-6-20213000
C0130-6-20210350
C0230-6-2021400

C0330-6-2021200

C0330-6-20210

If I calculate the rent that has to be paid per customer per month (late rent - prepaid rent) I should get a table looking like this:

CustomerDateRent end of month
C0131-5-2021450
C0231-5-2021-60
C0331-5-2021200
C0130-6-2021-50
C0230-6-2021400
C0330-6-2021150
Total 1090

Now I want to be able to add a slicer from the date table where I'm able to filter per month, so let's say june. I would expect something like this:

C0130-6-2021-50
C0230-6-2021400
C0330-6-2021150
Total 500

I also don't want to show the negative rents at the end of the month, so the end result would be something like this:

C0230-6-2021400
C0330-6-2021150
Total 550

Plus I want to show only the total of alll rents that has to be paid, so 550.

I have been able to create the table the way I want and show the correct total in the table. But as soon as a delete the customernumbers to show only the total rent that has to be paid it includes the negative rents again. 

Things I have tried: 

- Rent at the end of the month = IF(AND(HASONEVALUE(Rents(customer), (SUM(Rents(late rent)-Sum(Rents(Prepaid rent)), SUMX, rents, (SUM(Rents(late rent)-Sum(Rents(Prepaid rent)))

- As soon as i create a measure for if the rent is positive or not, it only looks at each row, but it should look at the totals of each customer per date. 

- Creating a table with customer per date and the rent that has to be paid, but then I'm not able to filter the date in this table with the date from the datetable which I use

- I should be able to filter the results per date based on the date table

- I should be able to see the rent that has to be paid per customer per month

- I should be able to filter out all negative rents

- I should be able to see the total rent that has to be paid per month in a seperate visual without the negative rents that have to be paid

Really hope someone can help! 

Liza

15 REPLIES 15
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

Add new column on table2 what you want:

pay1 =
MAXX (
    FILTER (
        'Customer payment arrangement',
        'Customer payment arrangement'[Date] = Table2[Date]
            && 'Customer payment arrangement'[Customer] = Table2[Customer]
    ),
    'Customer payment arrangement'[Payment arrangement]
)

vluwangmsft_0-1625134228905.png

Best Regards

Lucien

Thank you! That works, but I have a lot of information that I would have to put in Table2 and I have also other information that is not directly linked to Table2. I sadly can't share the orginal file with you because it's completely full of personal data. 

Thanks a lot for trying to help me! 

Liza

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

Hi! Thank you for your reminder. My problem hasn't been solved yet. I tried your last suggestion but I still had problems. 

If I use the date from Date2 to filter, the Table is filtered correctly, however the other information about the customer is not filtered. So i get the amounts and customers twice, and see Yes and no for the payment arrangements because that table isn't filtered with the date from Date2. Do you have a suggestion for this? 

Kind regards, 

Liza

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

Could you pls  provide me with your original pbix file after adjusting the confidential data?My pbix sample seems to keep differing from yours.

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi, 

I've adapted my Test power bi file with your Date2 table and it still doesn't work. If you look at month 5 it shows yes and no for Howard, because it doesn't create a link with the date. It should only show no. In Month 6 you don't have this problem, because C02 and C03 have yes or no for both months. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JnNG8geFxjfn48N0ztOLFJFslAAzrXHJ/view?usp=sharing 

I hope you can download it here! 

Thank you, 

Liza

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

Payments contains is  based on Date,so we  need to keep the relationship between Payments contains  and  Date,right?

And if you could create a new table name Date2='Date', then create relationship between Date2 and Table2 ,just like below,then use the column in Date2 in slicer?

v-luwang-msft_0-1623745841502.png

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft , 

I've just tried this. If I use the date from Date2 to filter, the Table is filtered correctly, however the other information about the customer is not filtered. So i get the amounts and customers twice, and see Yes and no for the payment arrangements because that table isn't filtered with the date from Date2. 

Kind regards, 

Liza

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

I have a test ,

first ,change relationship to the below:

v-luwang-msft_1-1623723612740.png

Then change the data type:

v-luwang-msft_2-1623723680659.png

Final you will see the below:

v-luwang-msft_3-1623723715019.pngv-luwang-msft_4-1623723722415.png

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft

Thank you for your time! You have been a great help and I feel like I'm getting there! However, this sollution works for the example PBIX I have sent you. But in the original file my table with the rent payments contains a date key and I have used the related function to import the date to the table and then used that one for the Table which i created using your formula. 

If I now disconnect the relationship between the date table and rent payments table, I no longer have a date in the table because the tables are no longer related. Which leads to failures and not being able to filter using the date or other filters. 

I hope you understand what I mean. 

Again, thank you so much for your help! I felt like giving up, but I have hope again!

Liza

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

Could you pls share your pbix file ?

Just reading the text description is not very clear.Remember to remove confident data.

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft

I have updatet the file which you send me to look like the PBIX I have. As you can see I have now created a date filter and some other filters. I have connected the tables but the filters don't work on the table which I created using your formula. In reality it's a lot more data that has to be filtered, so adding them all to the created table with the rent at the end of the month will probably result in Power BI crashing on my computer. I hope this gives you some clarity, otherwise please let me know!

Showing totals file updated (I hope you can download this file, I am not able to share files in the communicty)

Thank you!

Liza

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIAnalist ,

You could try the following steps:

base  data:

v-luwang-msft_0-1623318358955.png

Step 1,use the following measure to create a new table:

Table2 =
SUMMARIZE (
    'Table',
    'Table'[Customer],
    'Table'[Date],
    "Rent end of month",
        IF (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Late rent] ) - SUM ( 'Table'[Prepaid rent] ) >= 0,
            SUM ( 'Table'[Late rent] ) - SUM ( 'Table'[Prepaid rent] ),
            BLANK ()
        )
)

Then get below :

v-luwang-msft_1-1623318433099.png

Step 2, create visulization,it what you want:

v-luwang-msft_2-1623318453628.png

You could download my pbix file if you need.

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft , 

Thank you so much for your response! I succeeded in making the table and it shows the correct amount of rent at the end of the month and I am able to show the total rent that has to be paid. However, I have a date table in my dashboard which I use for filtering. I have to be able to filter this visual/table with the rents at the end of the month with the date table filter. This is now not possible. Do you have a sollution for this? 

I have now connected the table which I created to the source table with the customer number. The source table is connected to the date table. However, then I can't filter the visial with the date from the date table. But I can add more customer data to the visual. 

If I connect the table which I created to the date table with the date, I am able to filter the visual with the date table. However, I can't add any more customer data which I do have to add. 

Hope you can help! 

Liza

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PowerBIAnalist , Try a measure like

Sumx(values(Rents[customer]), if(SUM(Rents[late rent])-Sum(Rents[Prepaid rent]) >0 , SUM(Rents[late rent])-Sum(Rents[Prepaid rent]) , blank()))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.