Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing Months in Chronological Order across Years

Hello

Simple issue but devilish:  I have multiple year data with a simple 'create date' field in it for each record.

For one view I'd like to show the data in chronological order in a simple stacked chart, but when i span multiple years it shows months in year order (Jan - Dec) and just puts the data from each month side by side

stacked.png

Ie. if i show July 18 - July 19 it starts with Jan 19, Feb 19....July 18/July 19, Aug18/Aug 19, etc.....

I would like to show earliest date to current date (true chronological order)

July 18, Aug 18, Sept 18, ..... Jan 19, Feb 19, ,....July 19

so the above chart would START with July 18 (orange) and proceed through chronologically to July 19 (DkBlue)

Any ideas or visuals that would assist?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Please watch the video in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlX7Cp2P0d4

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

View solution in original post

@Anonymous if you want to use power query to add columns, you following syntax

Month Year = Date.ToText([Date],"MMM-yy"))

Month Year Sort =  Date.ToText([Date],"yyyy-MM"))

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@AliceW Glad, it helped and worked out for you. Cheers!!

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating the two new fields in PQ as such

solved.png

and then selecting the field and Modeling and sorting by the new sort field worked.

Thanks!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you need to add columns in your table to achieve this

Month Year = FORMAT( Table[Date], "MMM-YY" )

Month Year Sort = FORMAT( Table[Date], "YYYY-MM" )

Selected your Month Year column, go to modelling tab and select sort by option from menu and choose Month Year Sort

After all above done, use Month Year on x-axis and year on legend and you will get the result.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Parry, I'm a bit late with this reply, but it was a life-saver! Thanks, man.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add column, like so?    

o?stacked2.png

when i try it get error

stacked3.png

Hi @Anonymous 

M expression would look like below.

Number.ToText( Date.Year([Created])) & " " & Text.Start(Date.MonthName([Created]), 3)

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz Repczynski

@Anonymous sorry that was DAX expression not power query. 

@Anonymous if you want to use power query to add columns, you following syntax

Month Year = Date.ToText([Date],"MMM-yy"))

Month Year Sort =  Date.ToText([Date],"yyyy-MM"))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there!

In the reports I've been working on, I have come upon this issue, and I think my solution is pretty reliable.

I used a DAX formula to generate a custom column that concatenates the year and the month into a number as follows:

usageDate = Table[Date].[Year] & FORMAT(Data[Date].[Month], "00")

So now usage date looks something like "201904" or "201912". From there, you may need to create another custom column that has both the month name and the year in it. I don't think you will be able to just sort a column of months with my following method since there will be repeats in the month column otherwise.

Go to modeling, click Sort by Column, and select the new usageDate column. As a result, the Month-Year column (which you will have to create a custom column for) will now sort by the usageDate which is effectively just a number that increases as months and years go on.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Anonymous , I think this'd work for me too! 

I've made my own solution, but came to look for other solutions, since I was pretty sure it's not the optimal one. I made a copy of the year column, squared it and then made a new column with year(square)+monthnumber. So for example the values for Oct 2018 to Mar 2019 are 

Oct 2018: 4 072 334

Nov 2018: 4 072335

Dec 2018: 4 072 336

Jan 2019: 4 076 362

Jan 2019: 4 076 363

Jan 2019: 4 076 364

After this I can use this new column to rank the order of the months, even if there's information divided montly from multiple years. It works, but is a bit crude hack. 

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Please watch the video in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlX7Cp2P0d4

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz Repczynski

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.