Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shill1000
Helper IV
Helper IV

Showing 0 on new ribbon chart

I can't see this asked/answered anywhere else so forgive me if my search missed an answer and point me in the right direction.

I've seen asolution to get a calculated value to include 0's where there are nulls in the data (simply add 0 to the calculation). However, from what I can see this does not work on the new ribbon chart visual. Instead of showing a trend that drops to 0 then rises again to the new count where it again exceeds 0, the ribbon chart just looks like a bar chart. Anyone know how to force it to reflect a drop to 0 or is this a 'bug' in the chart design. Surely I can't be the only one who wants to see the full trend instead of a broken flow?value in Oct and Jan are not showing the trend down to 0 and back up to 1value in Oct and Jan are not showing the trend down to 0 and back up to 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shill1000 ,

I understand what you mean. But I haven't found any similar ribbon chart in visual market. I would suggest you submit the idea here to help power bi improve.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gampy
Advocate I
Advocate I

Solved this problem by adding an insignificant value for the periods where the measure value is 0
In my case it looks like this:

System class =
VAR _year_amount =
    CALCULATE(
        SUM(Project_Data[Value])
        , FILTER(Headers, Headers[Group] = "System class")
    )

VAR _total_amount =    
    CALCULATE(
        SUM(Project_Data[Value])
        , FILTER(Headers, Headers[Group] = "System class")
        , ALL(Years)
    )

RETURN
    IF(ISBLANK(_year_amount),
        IF(_total_amount >= 1, 0.001, BLANK())
        , _year_amount
    )111.png
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@shill1000 ,

I have made a test but couldn't reproduce your issue. The ribbon is continuous on my side as below. Please update power bi desktop to the latest version, if this issue persists, could you please share a sample file by sharing a onedrive link?

Capture.PNG 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You have actually reproduced it. You have values that go to 0 (orange bar in 2019, orange and blue in2020), but as you don't have values in 2020 they just stop. If you had a value in 2020 for the orange bar I suspect you'd see exactly what I do. 

What I'm saying is that if there is a value that has a 0 month, I'd expect the ribbon to narrow done to zero, then expand again to the new value.

I can't share ther actual data as its sensitive (hence I took the data labels off my screenshot). I can use a dummy dataset but that's going to look exactly like my screenshot and yours. I thnk its the way the visual is designed and what it probably should have is a flag to choose to show 0 values or not.

Actually, in revisiting this with dummy data I see the problem and can maybe illustrate it. Probably need a new/similar visual. Instead of the ribbon chart holding the order of a stack like a stacked area chart would it crosses the ribbons (insert Ghostbusters joke here). So it can;t really show 0 as a zero height ribbon. In the attached I set up a sample file with one set of values in the orders column and a second set with +1 to the value. Imagine on the second that the ribbon going down to 1 was actually 0 height and you might get what I originally meant; can we display 0 as a 'disappearing ribbon' instead of a gap. Like I say, I'm presumably looking for a different visual to the ribbon chart.

With image this time!Ribbons.JPG

@shill1000 ,

I understand what you mean. But I haven't found any similar ribbon chart in visual market. I would suggest you submit the idea here to help power bi improve.

Will do. I'd suggest it should be an option on the existing visual - toggle to display line for 0 or gap.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.