Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HenrikH29
Helper I
Helper I

Show values as whole thousands

Is there a way to format visuals or tables to have the numbers shown in whole thousands.

The object is to make it more readable ie. "1.234" instead of "1.234.123" as i have a large number of values in some matix visuals.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh for a matrix, got ya.  For those i believe you'd have to write a measure that would convert the output for you.

Maybe something like:

Your Measure = ([Your Value] / 1000) & "K"

You could add rounding in here too.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
YourData_Guy

Select the metric --> Got to Format your Visual Option YourData_Guy_0-1711540620742.png  --> Specific Column  --> Display Units --> Thousands/Millions/...

PeteD

In 2021 showing thousands or millions etc is now just a format option on the Matrix. The accepted solution involving making measures is now obsolete. Is there a way to flag out of date questions and answers?

calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @PeteD ,

Not closed for me. If we're using a matrix to show a series of measures and improve performance, instead of using multiple single card visuals, then the measures appear without rounding. If we fix a rounding to display units in millions for example, then when we change the period from YTD to MTD the value may not reflect a useful amount, just $0.0M. This feature to change automatically doesn't exist, correct?

Regards,

Fernando

Agreed. The visual could show the data based on any value selected for a slicer. For eg. WW will have numbers in millions but looking at specific region/country through same visual, screws up the data labels.

I cannot find the option to format values as thousands in a Matrix.  Can someone post a screenshot of where that is?

calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @NonnaBlue ,

Here:

data1.png

Regards,

Fernando

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, quite a lot of visuals allow you to do that.  Look under the "Format" section of the Visualisation Settings.  In there will be sections relating to the various displays.  What you are looking for is an option called "Display Units" and "Decimal Precision".  These are typically defaulted to "Auto", but you can set it to "Thousands" and 0

Yes i found that in other visuals however i cannot find it in the new Preview Matix visual (the one with drill down functionality).

I guess it's not an option in that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh for a matrix, got ya.  For those i believe you'd have to write a measure that would convert the output for you.

Maybe something like:

Your Measure = ([Your Value] / 1000) & "K"

You could add rounding in here too.

Answered my question Ross,  didnt even need to send you an email 🙂

Yes that was what i was "afraid of" .

I have a lot of values so i had hoped for a easier solution 🙂

Perhaps it will come as an option later...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tested this on a file i'm working on thats fairly sizable.  This was pretty fast:

Rev = 
VAR
	Result = round([Revenue] / 1000, 0)
RETURN

if(
	Result = 0,
	BLANK(),
	Result & "K"
)

*Note [Revenue] is a measure i'm using that is a sum of data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.