Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show no data when no filters are selected

I know there are a couple similar questions, but after looking at the solutions, none of them have worked for me. 

I am buildling a report in which you can look someone up and see their fields of interest and fields of expertise. My data is set up with one table containing a list of individuals ('Individuals') and another table with their interests/expertise. Each person may have several interests or expertises, or none at all. 

Individual KeyIndividual Name
1001Bob Johnson
1002Sam Miller
1003John Adams

Individual KeyCategoryInterest/Expertise

MedicineInterest
1001HotelsInterest
1001DogsExpertise
1001CatsExpertise
1002LifestyleInterest
1002WritingExpertise

For the actual report, I would like to show a blank table when a member is not selected, and then when a member is selected, it shows their interests and expertise:

1.PNG

I've tried to play around with variations on this measure:

Int-Exp Filt = CALCULATE ( IF ( ISFILTERED ( Individuals[Full Name and ID] ), 1, 0 ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Interests and Expertise'[exa_category] ))
But Power BI doesn't like having multiple values for a measure so I get an error.  I tried the measure with FIRSTNONBLANK() instead of ALLSELECTED which works except it only shows the first non blank value (duh) and not all of the values. 

Does anyone have any ideas for how to show no values when a specifc filter is not selected and then show several values when that filter is selected?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Modify your measure as below:

Int-Exp Filt = IF ( ISFILTERED ( Individuals[Full Name and ID] )=TRUE(),MAX ( 'Interests and Expertise'[exa_category] ),BLANK())

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Modify your measure as below:

Int-Exp Filt = IF ( ISFILTERED ( Individuals[Full Name and ID] )=TRUE(),MAX ( 'Interests and Expertise'[exa_category] ),BLANK())

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.