Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Divya06
Employee
Employee

Show items with no data option does not work on a slicer

Hi Everyone, I am using a clustered bar chart to show the count of users under a particular category. So, I've used category as my axis and count of users in the Values section and I have a page filter to only look at users in the EMEA region. I also have a slicer for the 'Category' field.

The problem I see is that, my page filter doesn't affect the slicer and hence the Category field in the slicer includes all possible values that the field can hold. In other words, the slicer also lists categories which dont have any data in my chart. I would want it to only show categories that have data in my chart, meaning, show only categories in EMEA region.

I tried unchecking the "Show items with no data" option available under the field properties, but it doesnt work. My data source is an analysis services tabular model.

Please let me know if this issue can be overcome from Power BI itself. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi, @Divya06

In your scenario, please check two things.

First, make sure that you added the region field in page level filter or report level filter rather than visual level filter.

Capture.PNG

Second, check the data in your table. Based on my understanding, region and Category are two different columns in the table. If the EMEA region contains all categories, including those have no data in chart, then no matter whether you select EMEA or not, all possible values of category will be listed.

Take the below sample data as an example, when you select EMEA to filter data, all the values of category will display.

1.PNG2.PNG

If I have something misunderstood, please share some sample data for further analysis.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks much for your response Yuliana Gu!

My question is on your second point - "If the EMEA region contains all categories, including those have no data in chart, then no matter whether you select EMEA or not, all possible values of category will be listed. "

Is it possible to only list 'A' and 'C' categories in the slicer, and not show 'B' which doesnt have any users in EMEA? I ask this because the field that I'm using that's equivalent to the Category field in my example has so many values which don't have any data at all as per the filers set up, so the user would find it difficult to scroll through and choose the values which have data.

According to your statement above, it seems that this isn't possible, am i right?

Hi @Divya06

I have made many tests, it seems like this reuirement cannot be achieved currently. 

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok thanks much for checking

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.