Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show items with no data isn't working

I have a visual in which the customer wants to see all categories even if there's no data for a category. I've selected "show items with no data" but it still filters out the blank categories in some situations. Can someone please help me understand why? This first picture shows the two visuals, the one on the left is working correctly, we see "Past" at the bottom, even though there's no data for it. The visual on the right is also correct at this point, we only have three categories, all have data and are being displayed properly:

pic 1.PNG

But if I filter the data for one person, we keep the four categories on the left, but on the right it doesn't keep them and we only see "open".

pic 2.PNG

Does anyone know how I can make this work in the visual on the right?

The pbix is here

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@pozzyal the reason why it is not displayed on the right side because the value in the state of the X axis comes from the same table when filtered on a person, sees no record, and no X-axis values appear. if you create a dimension table for the state and use it on the X axis, everything will work as expected.

Check out my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and beyond to get a summary of my favorite versions of Power BI features in 2020

I'd like to Compliments if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to congratulate anyone who has helped solve your problem. It's a show of thanks!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultation.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@pozzyal the reason why it is not displayed on the right side because the value in the state of the X axis comes from the same table when filtered on a person, sees no record, and no X-axis values appear. if you create a dimension table for the state and use it on the X axis, everything will work as expected.

Check out my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and beyond to get a summary of my favorite versions of Power BI features in 2020

I'd like to Compliments if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to congratulate anyone who has helped solve your problem. It's a show of thanks!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultation.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Thank you so much! So simple, but such a game-changer!

ScottShearer
Resolver I
Resolver I

@Anonymous 

I believe that if you click on one of the bars in the chart on the right to filter the data you will see the behavior that you are expecting.  If you select a category (Open, Granted, Declined) from the filter window, categories not selected will be excluded.

image.png

image.png

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.<br>If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.