Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show items with no data in selected date period

I have some charts where there is no data for all the months, but i still want to have these months shown, e.g last 12 months when i select show items with no data and add a data filter to show the last 15 weeks it will still take all the dates from the calendar tabldata as is.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, you need to force a zero to be displayed instead of null if no results and then limit what gets displayed so you don't show all values in your date table/range.  Lots of ways to do this. 

Here is what I do to force zero results. 

Result with Zero = VAR result = [Measure or Calc] RETURN 
IF(result,result,0)

You can then use the Visual Filters to limit to last 12 Months, 12, Weeks or whatever or use some other blocking function to only show this result if there data in anotehr measure. 

See this example I built for someone else that domonstrates this principle in this case I'm using a visual filter to only display resultls where there is actual data. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCIkLeqFmlhhJh3pj3q9XzrxpxAng

View solution in original post

Can you share example? Do you have a date table?

Once you have your graph showing all time when you select the all values even with zero.  Filter the visual based on relative dates (see snip below)

snip_20180815102744.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what worked for me if you want to use date hierarchy.

Num of something =
VAR min_date = CALCULATE(MIN('Mews_Table'[Date]);ALLSELECTED('Mews_Table'))
VAR x = COUNT(Mews_Table[Item]) )
RETURN
IF( AND(ISBLANK(x); MIN(Mews_Table[Date].[Date]) >= min_date; MAX('Mews_Table'[Date].[Date]) <= TODAY()); 0; x )

This worked for me thanks.

I had to use && instead of the AND( though.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

As mentioned above, visual level filter is more credible.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, my filter worked when I only used Visual Level Filter as suggested vs. adding an end-user filter onto the canvas.  This does seem like a bug in the sense that Power BIs (data element) dropdown option of "Show Items with No Data" doesn't appear to work. 

Similar to the initial question, my issue was in regards to a date field.  Perhaps the "Show Items with No Data" option works for non-date data types?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

i will try and test it tomorrow and get back, thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

i cannot get it to work sorry 

Can you share example? Do you have a date table?

Once you have your graph showing all time when you select the all values even with zero.  Filter the visual based on relative dates (see snip below)

snip_20180815102744.png

This doesnt work for the proposed problem - sorry 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

looks like its working now 🙂
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, you need to force a zero to be displayed instead of null if no results and then limit what gets displayed so you don't show all values in your date table/range.  Lots of ways to do this. 

Here is what I do to force zero results. 

Result with Zero = VAR result = [Measure or Calc] RETURN 
IF(result,result,0)

You can then use the Visual Filters to limit to last 12 Months, 12, Weeks or whatever or use some other blocking function to only show this result if there data in anotehr measure. 

See this example I built for someone else that domonstrates this principle in this case I'm using a visual filter to only display resultls where there is actual data. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCIkLeqFmlhhJh3pj3q9XzrxpxAng

You solution doesnt work for the example - sorry 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.