Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FK3
Advocate I
Advocate I

Show issue only if all related components selected

This is working, but I was wondering if someone had a better solution: better modeling or better performance. Also, is there a name for this problem? 

Here's the basic data. Filtering a table with many components for each issue. Each component has its own row.

Fact Table

Issue #Component
1Cat
1Mouse
2Dog
2Elephant
3Dog
3Gerbil
3Mouse

Issues should only show if ALL of their components are selected. If 2/3 components are selected, don't show the issue at all. 

Below, I have 2 sets of visuals. In the first, all components are selected and all rows are shown. In the second set, all is selected except Elephant, so nothing from issue 2 is displayed.  

Results of show rows only if all components selected.png

I use a star schema with unidirectional filtering. FactTable with Component, and Issue dimensions. 
I have a calc column (Fact Rows) in Issue to count how many rows in Fact Table. This replaces some fancy DAX in the [Visual Filter] measure. The fancy DAX didn't perform well with the large dataset this is for. 
Issue[Fact Rows] column = 

COUNTROWS( CALCULATETABLE( FactTable ) )

[Visual Filter]  measure = 

VAR _currentRows = COUNTROWS( FactTable )
VAR _allRows = CALCULATE( SUM( Issue[Fact Rows] ), FactTable)
RETURN
INT(
_allRows // all records for this issue#
= _currentRows // currently selected rows for this issue
&& _currentRows > 0 // makes sure table isn't empty
)

I add the [Visual Level] measure as a filter on the table visual to ensure correct rows appear. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about replacing _allRows with this?

CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( FactTable ), REMOVEFILTERS ( FactTable[Component] ) )

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Try

Visual Filter 2 = IF( ISINSCOPE(FactTable[Issue #]),
var slicerValues = VALUES(Component[Component])
var issueValues = CALCULATETABLE( VALUES(FactTable[Component]), ALLEXCEPT(FactTable,FactTable[Issue #]))
return IF( ISEMPTY( EXCEPT( issueValues, slicerValues) ), 1 )
)

Thanks for the reply. This is some fancy DAX. I tried this and it causes all results to disappear. Also, I avoid IF statements and other branching on visual level filters because of performance. I like SQLBI's trick of using INT() to convert a boolean into a 1 or a zero. 

That's odd, it worked in the demo file when I tried it.

Good tip about the INT, the SQL BI guys are amazing. I don't usually spend much time on optimizing as I don't work with particularly large datasets.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about replacing _allRows with this?

CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( FactTable ), REMOVEFILTERS ( FactTable[Component] ) )

Thanks Alexis. That works if I do REMOVEFILTER(Component[Component] and put Component from Component dim and not from FactTable. It doesn't work if the table viz has FactTable[Component] with REMOVEFILTER( FactTable[Component]. I'm thinking this might be due to the autoexists issue. Understanding DAX Auto-Exist - SQLBI, but I'm not going to think about that now. 

Yes, removing the filter on the dimension table is the correct way to do it. I didn't initially notice that you had a separate table you were using for the slicer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors