Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Show/hide filters and tabs based on a value in a table

I'm looking to show/hide filters and tabs based on a value in a table using DAX in Power BI Desktop.  The purpose is to dynamically customize a dashboard for different clients using the values in table.  Please help.  Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nick-Singleton , 

As I know, we couldn't change filter status based on values. If you want to show value based on username, I think you could try to use RLS to see whether it work or not. Or you also could refer to @zoloturu 's suggestions. By the way, you also could explain your idea in details, then I will try to help you more correctly.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Nick-Singleton ,

There is only one Power BI ability which can do some kind of similar tasks. It is called bookmarks and buttons. 

So you can create a bookmark (special state of visuals, when some of them are hidden or shown) and assign it to a button. 

Details here.

But if you want some actions/events based on values then you need to share a lot more details and I will try to propose a solution.

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

Adding context to Nicks Question. So say you have a powerBI that you has like 5 filters and 4 tabs. The Master tab filters out the other tabs. There is a table with projectDefinitionID with values of 1 and 2. Using the ProjetDefinitionID as report level filter. When the user selects 1, they should see only 3 of the 5 filters and 2 of the 4 tabs. The other 2 fiters and 2 tabs should be hadden. When the user selects ProjectDefinitionID2, then all 5 filters and all tabs should be visible.

Hope this helps

@elmco4you , @Nick-Singleton ,

First of all, you can't conditionally hide report tabs.

Second, projectDefinitionID slicer or filter should not be used as a trigger. Do it as 2 buttons. And create two bookmarks.

Bookmark2 as as-is state, when everything is visible. And Bookmark1 - set proper states to visuals (shown/hidden), if visual should be visible but only some filters should be excluded then create a clone visual, make it visible and origin not. In this case Bookmark2 should make all clone visuals hidden.

Just understand, guys, there is no VBA or other script for events at reports. Only bookmarks with buttons and sometimes advanced DAX measures can handle some cases.

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.