Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show empty table if filter/slicer not selected? Or limit results?

Hi guys,

I'm getting these nice looking tables/error messages and was wondering whether there's a way to either not show anything until a filter/slicer is selected or limit the results to less than 1 million/thousand/100 results or something to avoid the error? Thanks!

201901031148.png

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

It is not supported to hide/show a visual based on slicer selection. Such an error prompted because the Maximum number of rows returned in a DAX query is limited to 1 million rows by default. To increase the upper limit, you could specify the  MaxIntermediateRowSize configuration setting in the msmdsrv.ini configuration file.  Reference: DAX Properties

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks v-yulgu-msft,

I just want to show an empty table if no slicers/filters are selected.

Partially to avoid getting the error, but also because it's only going to show a lot of information which is irellevant until filters are selected, so would be nice to be able to say "here's an empty table, but if you select a filter/slicer, or you click on anything in this other table which will also work as a filter, then I'll show you some data"!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try using HASONEFILTER in a measure to hide visuals until a filter / table column is clicked.

If in your top level table you would click on column A to filter all other visuals including your next level table.

Create a new measure

FILTERMEASURE = IF(HASONEFILTER([topleveltable.columnA]),1,0)

Then, in your next level table, drag this new measure into the visual level filter and check to show only items when the value is 1.

Your next level table should then go blank. Try clicking a column A field from your top level table, this should then only show results in your next level table relating to the selection.

I have used this in a couple of scenarios and it works well and judging on your email, it should work in this case (hopefully!)

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The easiest thing to do would be to set your slicer value to some default and save the report that way and then you would avoid this error.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

So no dice if using tables instead of slicers? (say 2-3 tables where some have high level information and others more detailed , and you just select a row and then get the detailed view in the other table (say 5-10 detailed rows per 1 high level row). obviously the detailed table has more rows than others, more than 1 million if no rows is selected Smiley Happy)

Hmm, maybe not. I thought that creating a bookmark and then saving the PBIX with that bookmark selected would do the trick but apparently not. Hmm...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.