Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SMR1989
Advocate I
Advocate I

Show element even when it is filtered out

Hello everyone,

I've got a matrix in Power BI representing the sum of values for some elements. Within some of the elements there are calculations, for example: 

Actual representation of the MatrixActual representation of the Matrix

To achieve this representation, I've created a column with all the values represented in the matrix (named "Column1"). The values of the column are: "A", "B", "C", "SUM A+B+C", "D", "SUM A+B+C+D".

The measure created is like the following:

Value2 = 
VAR CalcABC = CALCULATE([Value], FILTER(ALL('Groups'), [Column1] in {"A","B", "C"} ))
VAR CalcABCD = CALCULATE([Value], FILTER(ALL('Groups'), [Column1] in {"A","B", "C", "D"} ))

RETURN
 SWITCH(
     TRUE(),
     CALCULATE(SEARCH("SUM A+B+C+D", SELECTEDVALUE('Groups'[Column1]),1,0), ALL(Calendar[Date])) > 0, CalcABCD,
     CALCULATE(SEARCH("SUM A+B+C", SELECTEDVALUE('Groups'[Column1]),1,0), ALL(Calendar[Date])) > 0, CalcABC,
     [Value])

So far the matrix behaviour is correct. However, when a filter by "Column1" is applied, I would need the matrix to show the following result:

Desired representation of the matrix when A and B are selectedDesired representation of the matrix when A and B are selected

When A and B are selected in "Column1", I need them both to be represented in the matrix but also the calculations should sum up only the two selected values.

The actual representation of the matrix is like the shown below:

Actual representation of the matrix when A and B are selectedActual representation of the matrix when A and B are selected

Both calculated values disappear from the matrix because they are filtered out.

This is a fake example because I can't show you the real data, but in the real report there are hundred of elements. Users will be continously applying several filters and they can't select the calculations all the time.

I would appreciate any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SMR1989 ,

I just updated your sample pbix file, you can get it from this link. Later please check if that is what you want. Any comment or problem later, please feel free to let me know.

1. Create a table with unique value of Column1 in table Groups

2. Create a slicer with the field "Column1" in new table

3. Update the formula of measure "Value2" as below:

Value2 = 
var _selcol1=ALLSELECTED('Table'[Column1])
VAR CalcABC = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Value]), FILTER(ALL('Groups'), Groups[Column1] in _selcol1 &&'Groups'[Column1]<>"D")) 
VAR CalcABCD = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Value]), FILTER(ALL('Groups'), Groups[Column1] in _selcol1 ))
return 
 SWITCH(
     TRUE(),
     CALCULATE(SEARCH("SUM A+B+C+D", SELECTEDVALUE(Groups[Column1]),1,0), ALL(Calendar[Date])) > 0, CalcABCD,
     CALCULATE(SEARCH("SUM A+B+C", SELECTEDVALUE(Groups[Column1]),1,0), ALL(Calendar[Date])) > 0, CalcABC,
    CALCULATE(sum('Data'[Value]),FILTER('Groups','Groups'[Column1] in _selcol1 || SEARCH("SUM",'Groups'[Column1],1,0)>0)))

Show element even when it is filtered out.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SMR1989 , what is your source data here .

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hi @amitchandak , thanks for your reply.

Here is a pbix file with the example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdlaz6zwuun3bza/PowerBI_Example.pbix?dl=0

And below the Excel file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv36t691t30l9cq/ExamplePBI.xlsx?dl=0

Hi @SMR1989 ,

I just updated your sample pbix file, you can get it from this link. Later please check if that is what you want. Any comment or problem later, please feel free to let me know.

1. Create a table with unique value of Column1 in table Groups

2. Create a slicer with the field "Column1" in new table

3. Update the formula of measure "Value2" as below:

Value2 = 
var _selcol1=ALLSELECTED('Table'[Column1])
VAR CalcABC = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Value]), FILTER(ALL('Groups'), Groups[Column1] in _selcol1 &&'Groups'[Column1]<>"D")) 
VAR CalcABCD = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Value]), FILTER(ALL('Groups'), Groups[Column1] in _selcol1 ))
return 
 SWITCH(
     TRUE(),
     CALCULATE(SEARCH("SUM A+B+C+D", SELECTEDVALUE(Groups[Column1]),1,0), ALL(Calendar[Date])) > 0, CalcABCD,
     CALCULATE(SEARCH("SUM A+B+C", SELECTEDVALUE(Groups[Column1]),1,0), ALL(Calendar[Date])) > 0, CalcABC,
    CALCULATE(sum('Data'[Value]),FILTER('Groups','Groups'[Column1] in _selcol1 || SEARCH("SUM",'Groups'[Column1],1,0)>0)))

Show element even when it is filtered out.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.