Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wuyu
Regular Visitor

Show date as x-axis in scatter plot

Hi,

I want to create a count of something by day in scatter plot. Currently I'm converting date to day of year because scatter plot only allow numeric values as x-axis, but I want to show it as a date (or month) How can I do that?

FYI, I don't want to use line chart because the minimum category width is still too large for a graph with more than 200 categories.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
wuyu
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I want to create a count of something by day in scatter plot. Currently I'm converting date to day of year because scatter plot only allow numeric values as x-axis, but I want to show it as a date (or month) How can I do that?

FYI, I don't want to use line chart because the minimum category width is still too large for a graph with more than 200 categories.

Thanks!

in your dimcalendar Create the columns YEAR as Number, Month As Number, Day as Number...and then they in x-axis and drill down yout scatter plot. it will work

Hi,

Thank you for your reply! Can you be more specific about your solution? I don't know how to create columns in  dimcalendar.

Thanks again.

Hi... you may do this with dax or powerquery... 

IN DAx
ColumMonth - Month(dimcalendar[Date])
ColumnYear - Year(dimcalendar[Year])
ColumnDay - Day(dimcalendar[Day])

in Power query 
Just select de column DimCalendar[Date],
go To
Menu>AddColumn>Date>Year>Year
Menu>AddColumn>Date>Month>Month
Menu>AddColumn>Date>Day>Day

I have a similar issue and tried the above. Unfortunately , the moment you drill down it assumes equal spacing between every data point. This is technically incorrect and I need to be able to show the true scale (varying distance between the datapoints relating to varying time between samples).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.