Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ØysteinTv
Frequent Visitor

Show data with dates from openended values?

Hi,

I'm trying to build a simple HR type dashboard and am looking at understanding best how to calculate the number of employees for the time periods I'd like to see using a time slicer.

For instance I want to see data for Q1 2019 and have a simple button slicer where I select year and quarter. 
My data has "Valid from" and "Valid to" fields, where "Valid to" is blank if the employee has no set departure date. Meaning they should count as long as the "valid from" is at or before the period selected to view data for. 
Table Employee

Employee ID Country_code Gender Employmentrate Valid From Valid to

1FI431012015-01-01 
2NO43100,82018-07-012018-12-31
3DK431012019-01-01 

So if I am looking at data for Q1 2019, it should give employee 1+3, for Q1+2 2018, employee 1 and employee 1+2 for Q3+Q4 2018. 

I looked at the HR sample dashboard, but didn't fully understand it's logic... It used two measures:

1: EmpCount = CALCULATE(COUNT([Empoyee ID]); FILTER(ALL('Date'[PeriodNumber]); 'Date'[PeriodNumber] = MAX('Date'[PeriodNumber])))
2: 
Actives = CALCULATE([EmpCount]; FILTER(Employee; ISBLANK(Employee[TermDate])))

(I have set up a date table with periodnumbers and such, but can't really get it to work... 
Any good tips? 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

i would create a seprate date table that is used for the selected values 

then create a max an min date value based on the slected dates of this table 

you can then use a simple if statment to check if the start and end date are between these two mesures and then filter a table based on this measure. 

i have included a link to a PBIX file that should have what your looking for.

PowerBI HR.png

PBIX Link

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

i would create a seprate date table that is used for the selected values 

then create a max an min date value based on the slected dates of this table 

you can then use a simple if statment to check if the start and end date are between these two mesures and then filter a table based on this measure. 

i have included a link to a PBIX file that should have what your looking for.

PowerBI HR.png

PBIX Link

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks a lot, almost got it now 🙂 

How do I put this into a new measure to filter on it? Tried turning it into 0/1 instead, but still won't let me filter. 😞 

And if I use a slicer which selects Quarters for example, how can I get it to only select the persons active at the last date of the period (ie for Q1 I only want actives for 31.03 in one field, but in another I might want actives for 01.01 to use as a comparison method for growth)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.