Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show data in secondary table only when item selected from primary table

Hello,

I have a matrix showing cost by a column called [SubCategory]

You can expand [SubCategory] to show detailed data from a column called [Business Process]

I have a second table which just shows rate and volume. I don't want the values of these to appear, unless someone has selected a [Business Process] because at the [SubCategory] level, rate and volume summed up is pointless. 

PBI Example.png 

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

In an act of total abandonment and throwing caution to the wind, I wrote the following measure:

Rate = IF(ISFILTERED('Table'[Business Process]),SUM('Table'[Rate]))

It seems to work. It remains blank unless specifically a Business Process is selected on my report, then it shows the corresponding rate. I have to have the table broken out by month, else it shows a sum of all month rates, but that's ok. 

I can't believe I accidentally wrote a measure that worked!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
moritzmassimo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Anonymous,
I really like your solution!
There is just one thing, what I'm not able to solve:
If the user then wants to select one of the items in the "new" table, the table disappears again, because the selection from the other table is gone. (If you don't click CTRL while selecting)
I guess you have come to that issue aswell, did yu find a solution for it?
Best,
Moritz

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way to make a table disappear but I use this trick for these situations
Create two measures:

CARD MESSAGE =
IF(
   HASONEVALUE(
                             Table[Business Process]
                            ),
"",
"Click on a business process to show rate and volume"
)

Make Transparent =
IF (
HASONEVALUE( Table[business process]),
"#FFFFFF00",
"White"
)

You can then cover the table with a card, put the [Card Message] measure in the value of the card and the [Make Transparent] measure in the conditional formatting of the background (click on the three dots in the background color submenu to insert a measure as conditional formatting). Then put background transparency to 0% and remove card category option

In this way, when a B.P. is selected the card will become transparent and show the values, when it isn't it will show the message

Hope this helps

What do you do when you still want to be able to select in the table or export it? Now the card is on the top... 

It's a nice solution, but still need a solution for the problem above. 

is the table below the card still usable when you put a card on top of it with background transparancy=0%?

I've tested it, unfortunately the answer is no 😞 

Such a brilliant solution. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

In an act of total abandonment and throwing caution to the wind, I wrote the following measure:

It seems to work. It remains blank unless specifically a Business Process is selected on my report, then it shows the corresponding rate. I have to have the table broken out by month, else it shows a sum of all month rates, but that's ok. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is ok but it will show a blank table by default. Try the card trick if you want the report to be more user-friendly and have the table with no data disappear

However if it's for personal use it's fine that way. Keep in mind, though, that ISFILTERED will work also if the user uses CTRL to select multiple business processes. You should use HASONEVALUE if you need to show the numbers only when a single BP is selected. If not, you're good

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.