Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show blank when nothing is selected in the slicers

Hello,

Capture.PNG

From the picture above, you can see that I have used 4 slicers to calculate different things i.e.e hours, billing amount and total amount.

If I do not select anything, it shows this value (refer to the picture above). These values are accumulated and mean absolutely nothing, they only mislead the user. Please if someone can tell me what to do? Is there any way/option I can use where my table shows blank or nothing if nothing is selected from the slicer? Thanks.

P.S New to Power BI, not that good with DAX.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please set a new measure:

Please new a measure:

Measure1 =
CALCULATE ( IF ( ISFILTERED ( Table[Column] ), 1, 0 ), ALLSELECTED ( Table ) )

Add this measure to visual level filters, and set its value to 1.

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
EdwardMoradian

What you can do with the new feature of Field Parameters (check in Preview features):

1. Create a Column Called None with all blank values of ""
  2. Create a Field Parameter to select None field as well as the other fields you want (this lets you combine the fields together into 1 Slicer).
  3. Make Field Parameter into a Slicer.
  4. Now you will have a Slicer with None option that will give a blank result.  Select for this as the default to not show any results.  Save the dashboard in this state to keep the selection this way.  You can select the other fields to populate data.

EdwardMoradian_0-1666389581130.png

Adeel_Yousaf
Frequent Visitor

In my case it works.

Measure1 =
CALCULATE ( IF ( ISFILTERED ( Table[Column] ), SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Column1] ), "" ))

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please set a new measure:

Please new a measure:

Measure1 =
CALCULATE ( IF ( ISFILTERED ( Table[Column] ), 1, 0 ), ALLSELECTED ( Table ) )

Add this measure to visual level filters, and set its value to 1.

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there,
I have attempted to use this solution and succesfully created the measure. I have checked it using a card and it returns a value of zero when nothing is selected on my slicer and a value of 1 when something is selected. However, when I place it as a fliter for a visual, it does not let me set the vlaue to 1. It looks as shown in the picture and does nothing when I click the dropdown arrow to try to select "is" and then set the value to 1. Any suggestions? 

Thanks

LilMurph

LilMurph_0-1642439462690.png

same issue here, hope anyone found a solution?

I have the same problem, did you manage to find a solution?

Thank you Daniel.😊

I had the same problem here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @v-danhe-msft it worked for me.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi,

This works for me but if I "Select All", I get a blank again. Why is that?

mtiedtke
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous 

You can try using the function hasonefilter with your slicers so if your slicers have a filter then do the calculations, otherwise return blank(). 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/hasonefilter-function-dax

something roughly like 

TotalHours = if(hasonefilter(ClientDescription[name]),Sum(TotalHours),Blank())

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nopes, does not work. Basically, if I do not select anything from the slicer, my table should show blank but it does not. As you can see from the picture, it shows an accumulated value of something. I do not need that value if I have not selected anything!

My slicers are interlinked with each other (if that helps), for example if you choose an individual's name, the other slicers would show the parts that are only associated with the individual. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.