Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

magnus_jansson

Show applicants on all dates

Hi. Im new at BI and dont really know how to start with this problem.

I have a very simple list with a name, a start date and a stop date. I want to have a diagram thats shows the amount of people on every day from the first date to the last date in the list.

example:

Person1 startdate 16-02-01, stopdate 16-02-10

Person2 startdate 16-02-01, stopdate 16-02-07

Person3 startdate 16-02-05 stopdate 16-02-11

the diagram would show all dates from 16-02-01 to 16-02-11 with the amount of people on each day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is "relatively" difficult because the data isn't a natural fit to the "easy way" of using power pivot/power bi. I suggest two tables that are not connected. The table you mention (I will call data) and a second Calendar table that has a list of all your dates. Then create a measure in the calendar table something like this. 

Count of People = countrows(filter(data),

Data[startdate] <= max(Calendar[Date]) &&

Data[enddate] >= max(Calendar[Date])

)

Put the date column from your calendar on a chart axis and the new measure in values. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great solution @MattAllington !!

@magnus_jansson here a sample output from the Matt's solution.

asdfwecefw.png

This is "relatively" difficult because the data isn't a natural fit to the "easy way" of using power pivot/power bi. I suggest two tables that are not connected. The table you mention (I will call data) and a second Calendar table that has a list of all your dates. Then create a measure in the calendar table something like this. 

Count of People = countrows(filter(data),

Data[startdate] <= max(Calendar[Date]) &&

Data[enddate] >= max(Calendar[Date])

)

Put the date column from your calendar on a chart axis and the new measure in values. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors