Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlB
Super User
Super User

Show all items in X axis

Hi all,

I have a line and clustered column chart with week number in the x axis. I've added new data in the last refresh and, although all the data is shown correctly, the x-axis is now showing only the even numbers. How can I force all of the week numbers to be shown? In the screen capture below, the top one is what is happening and the bottom one what I would want (consider only the x-axis, ignore the different data in both charts).

Many thanks

The bottom one is what i'm afterThe bottom one is what i'm after 

15 REPLIES 15
Nikola237
Advocate II
Advocate II

Why is everything in Power Bi so counterintuitive or hard to get done? The most simple features need a work around in order to make them possible.

Because it's Microsoft. The reason eveyone is still working with their apps is Excel (and maybe Word). All the rest is terrible, but we have no choice

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AlB ,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered to close this topic?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-danhe-msft 

Not yet. I will have a loom at @Nolock's suggestion with Json file

Thanks @Nolock  and @Greg_Deckler  for the tips

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you using Continuous or Categorical for you X-Axis?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler , I didn't know about that 🙂

Capture.PNG

amyod
Frequent Visitor

This works...except when you have weeks or months where there is no data. I have no data for September, October, November so my chart skips from month 8 to month 12 which the user might miss unless they look closely. Not help if you're looking for trends at a glance.

amyod_0-1665758504717.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this as had similar issue, thanks for posting and its a Yes from me. Turned a head banging into a thumbs up!!

@Nolock  @Greg_Deckler 

Thanks guys. Going for categorical solves the issue but I have quite a lot of charts like that in the file. It'd be quite time-consuming to go chart by chart changing from continuous to categorical. Any idea on how to do that in a faster, more convenient way?

Many thanks

Give @Nolock the damm trophy.

Hi @AlB ,

I am afraid it may could not support all visuals, you could vote below links for your visuals or could submit an idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas?query=categorical%20x-axis

If your problem could be solved, don't forget to close this topic.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @AlB and @Greg_Deckler,

WARNING: the following doesn't work, but it should be mentioned.

All Microsofts modern file formats are zipped files and folders. I've tried to unzip the pbix file and opened the file Report/Layout which is a JSON file. I changed a property (categorial/continuous) of a chart, zipped everything again and voila an error message that the file is corrupted. Then I tried the same once again only with changing a title of a chart. Also didn't work. It means there is probably a fingerprint somewhere in the binaries.

If it worked you could script it with ease. Unfortunately it doesn't 😞

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @AlB  and @Greg_Deckler,

my next try, maybe you will find a bug in my solution and will be more successful than I was.

My next idea is to use Report Themes - create a new JSON file with a report theme and apply it to every report. According https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-themes it is possible to set all column charts to categorical or continuous (check the JSON file at the end of the MS doc page). I've tried to set many different properties, they worked but setting axisType for categoryAxis didn't. 

Do you have any idea why the following JSON theme doesn't work?

{
    "name": "My Theme",
    "visualStyles": {
        "columnChart": {
            "*": {
                "categoryAxis": [
                    {
                        "axisType": "Categorical",
                        "fontSize": 14
                    }
                ]
            }
        }
    }
}

@Nolock - Have you looked at powerbi.tips to generate your theme code? @Mike_Carlo might have some insight into this.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @AlB,

I think it is the standard behavior of all charts I've seen in many products. If there are to many values on an axis, only some of them will be displayed to stay well-arranged.

How to enforce it? Increase the width of your chart, which works for now. But it won't work, wenn you get a new data.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.