Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IcingOnTheCake
Helper III
Helper III

Show a dynamic selection of visuals in my report

Dear Power BI Pros,

I'm new in this community and ask my first question. I hope anyone can help.

I have a report with several different Visuals. (based on Common Data Service (Forms Pro Tables))

Now I would like to arrange and show/hide dynamically these Visuals in my report.

For example:

The Survey has a Net Promoter Score question as first question, so I would like to show my visual concerning NPS. And I would like to show it at the top.

The Survey has a rating question with several subquestions as a second question. So I would like to show the Visual for Ratings with subquestions as a second Visual in my report.

The survey has no free Text question. So I dont want a Word Cloud Visual in my report....

And this should load dynamically with the selection of a survey/form in a slicer (depending on the question types in the form).

Any idea? I have no clue how to start. I've tried conditional formatting but this is way to far away of what I want.

If you knows "Forms pro": Under "responses" - "question-wise-analysis" >> thats similar what I would like to do.

Thank you very much!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @IcingOnTheCake ,

If you want the visual to show when multi choose slicers, modify the measure like this and set the value as the corresponding number or 0:

Measure = 
IF(
    HASONEVALUE('Question type'[question type]),
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Question type'[question type] ) = "A",
        IF (
            SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Question type'[question type] ) = "B",
            IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Question type'[question type] ) = "C", 3 )
        )
    ),
)

selection.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best option is to use a combination of bookmarks and buttons.  

bookmarks can be set up to only impact a specific visual.  In each bookmark unselect data and select only on selected visuals 

Dnerada_1-1595383151226.png

in the selection pane select the visual and then update your bookmark.  Then place a button or image in your dashboard and attach the bookmark to it.  It can be tricky at first but has a great result when done.  if you send me a copy of the PBIX file i can add a few examples for you.  

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IcingOnTheCake ,

If you want to use slicers to achieve this, it could only hide the values in the visual but cannot hide the whole visual.

Create this measure, put it in the visual filter and set its value as you want it to match with the question type. For example, if you set its value as 1, It will be displayed when you choose question A in the slicer.

Measure =
IF (
    IF (
        IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Question type'[question type] ) = "C", 3, 0 )
    )
)

question.png

Attached my sample file that you can refer: Show a dynamic selection of visuals in my report.pbix

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous @v-yingjl 
I am trying to use a combination of both.
I guess it will become a solid workaround then. Thank you once more for that!

@v-yingjl One more question to your solution:

I would like to let the users also select more than one value/Questiontype. So they might select two or more  different types of questions and then I would like to adjust the visuals accordingly. How would that work then?

Thank you!

@v-yingjl 

As soon as I select more than one value, the selected value function delivers back empty

Hi @IcingOnTheCake ,

If you want the visual to show when multi choose slicers, modify the measure like this and set the value as the corresponding number or 0:

Measure = 
IF(
    HASONEVALUE('Question type'[question type]),
    IF (
        IF (
            IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Question type'[question type] ) = "C", 3 )
        )
    ),
)

selection.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

The solution is for me actually a combination of @v-yingjl  and @Anonymous  suggestions.

Wasnt able to select two answers as solution.

Thank to you both!

@Anonymous @v-yingjl 

Thank you both very much!

I will test this and come back to you!

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

May be I didn't understand your question properly. A layout of your report might be helpful here.

As far As I understand is that you can create a Table Matrix for your survey questions and create a Drill Thru report against it. This way user can go forward and back against each question and you can setup multiple drill thru reports so that user can see particular report accordingly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you @FarhanAhmed 

This is a possible solution and interesting, because I havent thought of that. But then I do not have any graphical visual on my first page. And the business wants something like a dashboard/summary already on the first page with visuals matching the questions of the selected survey/form.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@IcingOnTheCake , see bookmark can help

Thank you @amitchandak !
But a bookmark just brings the user to a previously saved report state, correct?
I cannot create bookmarks for all possible collections of question types in one report.

A form theoretically could have hundreds of questions in different constellations.

Or do I get the bookmark usage wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.