Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show Usage of columns and measures in a report

Hi,

is there a way to find out which columns and measures are used(or unused) in Reports and Visuals.

- Show Usage of Measures/Fields in Report pages

- Show Usage of Measures/Fields in Visuals

- Show Usage of Measures/Fields in other Measures/Fields

- Show unused Measures/Fields

I was inherited a huge report and need to find out whats needed and whats not needed and how can i optimize the performance of this report which i have not worked on before.

Thanks & Regards

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There are many articles on that topic, some with alchemistic vibes.

Keep in mind that "unused measure" is not a thing.  All measures are unused until they aren't.  "unused" measures carry no cost (apart from being an eyesore). 

Columns are a different thing - they do carry cost (storage)  and eliminating unused columns can provide storage and performance benefits. It can also paint you into a corner very quickly when you remove columns that the users then need a couple days later.

Make a backup of the report you have inherited, and then hack away. Remove stuff that you don't think is needed, and when stuff breaks revert back, or refactor.  If you have the luxury of starting over - start over with a clean new design that incorporates all the learnings.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.