Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ying_P
Helper I
Helper I

Show TOP n values with changing the base

Hello,

I use Power BI to look at data from surveys. Below is a typical table I usually work with - you can see that the values in respondentID column are not unique, some are repetitive as a piece of comment from one respondent might be categoried into different concept categories.

Capture.JPG

So, when I calculate the proportion of each concept category, I use "Distinct Count of RespondentID" and let it show value as "Percentage of grand total". The results I get are as below:

Capture2.JPG

However, I find it is hard to use the TOP N filter when trying to show only the concepts that are greater than 2% because when I apply the filter, some records are excluded and the base becomes smaller, which affect the calculation of percentage.

Capture 2.JPG

So, does anyone know how to show Top 10 concepts without change the base? Basiclly, I just want to hide some concept categories that are less important.

Great thanks for your help!

Ying

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Just to confirm you did try going under Filters, and then change the Filter Type to TopN and then put in your % GT Count of respondantID?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thank you for replying my question. Yes I tried it. You can see that the % in the last two tables attached are different but the counts of each concept category are same. One has applied the Top n filter and the other does not. I want to use the Top N filter but get same results.

Hi @Ying_P

Are you able to share some sample data or images of the differences?

I would suggest instead of using the built in measure creation to create it yourself. And build each measure individuall before you create the final Grand Total measure. In doing so you can see where the measure is different from what you expect to see.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thank you for replying me. I was on vacation last week and did not check emails as frequent as usual. Sorry for the late reply.

I will try to create some measures, at the meantime, if you could help, here is the link to the sample data file I used.

https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Sample%20data.csv?_subject_uid=683553193&w=AAATpO_Flv84OyPS5zZQsInLW...

Thanks again!

Ying

I tried to access the file but it gave me a 403 error.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.