Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show Purchased/Returned Date using Calendar Table

Hi, (pbix example below)

I have a table which show items with a purhcase and returned date as well as other info. I would like to create a visual which shows a date axis and considers both when the item was purchased and when it was returned.

Data Model.png

Currently, I have a Calendar table which makes up the Date axis in the bar graph visual. However, it only considers the item at the time of purchase via relationship modeling. The date 3/15/2019 is not found for the one returned item. Is there a way to consider both dates in one graph? Thanks!

Visuals.png

Thanks for any help! Check out the pbix file for this issue here .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You cannot filter the two fields of the data table directly through the calendar date table, because there can only be one active relationship between the two tables. If you want to filter two dates at the same time, you need to create an active relationship and an inactive relationship between the two tables, and then use USERELATIONSHIP() to activate the inactive relationship. One thing to note, when you add the measure that creates the activation relationship to the corresponding visual, it will take effect

(1)Create two relationships between data table and calendar date table .

Ailsamsft_0-1643261051733.png

(2)Then create a measure to activate the inactive relationship.

Quantity by returned date = CALCULATE(SUM(Items[Quantity]),USERELATIONSHIP(Items[Date Returned],'Calendar'[Date]))

(3) If you put two dates in the same chart, it may seem a bit messy, you can separate the purchase date and the return date into two charts.

Ailsamsft_1-1643261051738.png

I have attached my pbix file, you can refer to it .

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You cannot filter the two fields of the data table directly through the calendar date table, because there can only be one active relationship between the two tables. If you want to filter two dates at the same time, you need to create an active relationship and an inactive relationship between the two tables, and then use USERELATIONSHIP() to activate the inactive relationship. One thing to note, when you add the measure that creates the activation relationship to the corresponding visual, it will take effect

(1)Create two relationships between data table and calendar date table .

Ailsamsft_0-1643261051733.png

(2)Then create a measure to activate the inactive relationship.

Quantity by returned date = CALCULATE(SUM(Items[Quantity]),USERELATIONSHIP(Items[Date Returned],'Calendar'[Date]))

(3) If you put two dates in the same chart, it may seem a bit messy, you can separate the purchase date and the return date into two charts.

Ailsamsft_1-1643261051738.png

I have attached my pbix file, you can refer to it .

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, @v-yetao1-msft for sharing your dashboard to better explain the implementation using USERRELATIONSHIP(...). 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,  think you need to create an inactive relation with other date and use userelationship to active that

example

calculate( SUM(Table[Qunatity]),USERELATIONSHIP ('Table'[date returned], 'Date'[Date])

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thank you for the resource! This really helped me a lot. I had no idea about the functionality behind inactive relations and USERRELATIONSHIP function. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.