Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

helalm
Helper II
Helper II

Show Data & Data Labels in Visualizations

I have my raw data and data dictionary in two separate files (included here in one Excel file under separate Tabs) and structure.
The raw data has a regular/normal structure with variables on the column and subjects on the rows. However, the data dictionary file includes a list of variables on rows under one column (Variable Names) followed by corresponding columns that describe each variable such as variable labels, value labels, variable type, etc. Since the two structures are different, I can’t connect the two tables to bring variable characteristics from Data Dictionary to any visualizations created via the raw data set. The only option, to my knowledge, is to Unpivot the raw data set so all variables are listed under one column then I can join the two tables as 1 to many relationships. Since the raw data set contains 5000 rows and more than 800 variables, Unpivoting the data set creates millions of rows and is not an efficient solution.
The desired outcome, presented in Power BI sample (included), is when I hover over a variable in the Matrix, or in any other visualizations, I like to see its labels and all other information existed in the corresponding rows of data dictionary.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Helal

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @helalm ,

Do you want to  combine 2 tables with different structure? Or only show the related values about another table?

I have also found a similar post, plese refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: How to merge or combine 2 tables with different st... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Good morning Polly,

The second scenario only showing related values.

Thank you,

Helal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors