cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Show Actual values with Forecast (as a continuation of Actuals) on Line Chart

Hi there! New to the forum and it's been incredibly helpful thus far - thnak you all! However, I am having some trouble with a line chart where I am trying to visualize forecasted values as a conintuation of the actual values. I think I am pretty close (see picture below). I would like to have the dotted line (forecast) start at where the green line ends (acutals).

line chart.PNG

I created running total for both the Acutal and the Plan values. I used a separate formula for the Forecast. Here is the DAX for all three measures:

Forcasted points DAX:

points forecast DAX.PNG

Running total of actual values DAX:

runnging total points DAX.PNG

It's like the forecasted points are not starting at the end of the actual points. Can I connect the two somehow?

Any ideas/thoughts? Appreciate the help!

JY

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Re: Show Actual values with Forecast (as a continuation of Actuals) on Line Chart

Can you share the relationships?
I'm assuming LEX_Points_DB_Forecast[Points Plan] has figures above 0 in the table and LEX_Points_DB_Forecast[Date] has a relationship to DimCal?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Show Actual values with Forecast (as a continuation of Actuals) on Line Chart

Hi @jd009

Here are the relationships. You are correct that the LEX_Points_DB_Forecast[Points Plan] has figures above 0 in the table and LEX_Points_DB_Forecast[Date] has a relationship to DimCal. I read in another thread that to make this work you need a date table. However, I am unsure if the DAX on the measures is written appropriately.....Thanks for your help!

JY

relationships1.PNGrelationships2.PNG

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

I'm certainly no pro, but to me it looks like the chart is recognizing the formula (in terms of date range), but it's not recognizing the relationship and therefore pulling back 0 for the sum. The relationships look fine.. are you using the DimCal Date in your line chart and slicer?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors