Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TrentS
Advocate II
Advocate II

Should be a Simple Countrows...right?

Afternoon all,

Have been reading and searching trying to figure this one out and still failing. TIme for experts!

I have two UNrelated tables. The second table, Month_Count, is for some specific charting. It contains a Date format column with Month-Year. My primary table, Query1 for public purposes, contains a calculated column resulting in the same format date. I need to do a count of the times each month-year appears.

image.png

If I relate the Month_Count to either (Query1[Month_Open]) or [Month_Close], I can get the right number. The other field simply matches it so I know I need another function in there. (Yes I want the "closed" to be a negative number.) Obviously, I am just getting a count of all rows without the relation as it appears in the picture.

Here is the DAX from the (Query1 [Month_Open] ) just in case:

Month_Open = DATE(YEAR(Query1[Open_Date_Non_Blank]),MONTH(Query1[Open_Date_Non_Blank]),1)
As I said all of the relevant columns are the same Date format and since it works with a direct relation, I don't think thats the issue.
What am I missing?

Thanks,
TrentS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jericacoleman

You need to set the count filter so it is only grabbing rows equal to the month on the first column. I would use the following formula to achieve what you are looking for. This is similar to doing a COUNTIF in Excel.

New_Cases = CALCULATE(COUNT(‘Query1’[Month_Open]),FILTER(‘Query1’,'Query1'[Month_Open]='New Table'[Month]))

I didn't know the name of your new table, so I just titled it new table in my formula.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jericacoleman

You need to set the count filter so it is only grabbing rows equal to the month on the first column. I would use the following formula to achieve what you are looking for. This is similar to doing a COUNTIF in Excel.

New_Cases = CALCULATE(COUNT(‘Query1’[Month_Open]),FILTER(‘Query1’,'Query1'[Month_Open]='New Table'[Month]))

I didn't know the name of your new table, so I just titled it new table in my formula.

@jericacoleman 

Ah...I got hung up on a Countrows not a simple count.

Many thanks.

Happily accepted as a solution!

TrentS

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.