Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Should a ID column be a whole number, text or decimal

While watching a video on excel the instructor said to use text for id columns as they are not for calculations does this rule apply also for power bi. Should all my columns for Id's be text data types.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It's up to you.  A number will be stored more efficiently but you have to take a small amount of extra care to prevent powerbi from attempting to sum it when placed on a visual. 

Not a decimal though. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It's up to you.  A number will be stored more efficiently but you have to take a small amount of extra care to prevent powerbi from attempting to sum it when placed on a visual. 

Not a decimal though. 

It depends on how you will formulate your ID , if for example you will include characters and number you will assign to it a text.

Spicy response @HotChilli! Hehe "spicy" (my bad, terrible dad humor!). But very much a very simple explanation and precise response! 

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors