Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shift data left to null cell

I'm wondering if it is possible to replicate the Excel trick where you select all empty cells using crtl-g, delete values and shift cells left. I'm exporting and merging data from 100s of pdfs and even though the columns line up in the PDFs, for whatever reason, in the output in Power Query, some of the PDFs have columns with null values. It seems like it would be easy to fix if I could just shift data left to null cells so that all the data lines up. Is there a way to replicate the sift cells left functionality in Power Query, or perhaps another approach to solve this issue?

Before -

Col 1  Col 2  Col 3  Col 4

1        null       1        1

1         1         1      null

After -

Col 1  Col 2  Col 3  Col 4

1         1        1      null

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
jackieb727
Frequent Visitor

For anyone out there looking for a way to do this with a few simple clicks, I was able to get all data shifted left by the following:

In Power Query;

1. Highlight all columns that you want the data shifted left.
  2. Select 'Merge Columns'.  Use equals sign as the separator (don't use semi-colon, didn't work this way). Select OK.
  3. Then right click on your new merged column, and select 'split column'. 
    1. Split by the equals sign delimeter
    2. Choose 'split into columns' (under Advanced options). 
    3. Enter how many columns to split into (probably the same number of columns as original in case there's a row(s) where data exists in each one)
    4. Click OK.  
  4. All of your values are now shifted left in the columns.
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Possibly merge the columns (2,3,4), delimit by space, then trim, then split column by space?

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQIiQzCO1YmGsiAYi0AsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}, {"Column4", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Column2", "Column3", "Column4"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Columns",{{"Merged", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Merged", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Merged.1", "Merged.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Merged.1", Int64.Type}, {"Merged.2", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That works when the null spaces are at the start or end, but I'm actually trying to apply this solution to many columns at once ( I should have mentioned this) and the TRIM function does not seem to work for extra spaces between text.

@Anonymous: I would like to know how to shift cells too. Did you ever come up with a solution?

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

@Ashish_Mathur: I need to pull this data weekly for reports, but the system shifts the column name when exporting it to a CSV file. Thank you for any tips you can give.

Before >>>

Part #PartType<--Shift Left--Date<--Shift Left--Quantity Before
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update7/23/2020 8:27 0 97.95
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update7/23/2020 8:47 2156000 97.95
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update8/3/2020 16:21 2156000 0
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update8/3/2020 16:24 3565650 0

After >>>

Part #PartTypeDateQuantity BeforeQuantity After
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update7/23/2020 8:27097.95
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update7/23/2020 8:47215600097.95
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update8/3/2020 16:2121560000
288Adult 3 Ply Face Masks (disposable)Update8/3/2020 16:2435656500

Hi,

Simply delete the columns with the heading of Date and Quantity before and rename the columns with no headings to Date and Quantity before.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.