Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rohita
Frequent Visitor

Sharing scheduled refresh reports with Non-Pro users

Dear power BI community,

We are looking for a way to publish and share Power BI reports/ dashboard, which are scheduled to refreshed once a day from on-prim datasource, with the non-pro users. Only development team has pro licenses to develop the dashboards and the end users have free licenses as they are mere consumer of the reports and do not develop any report/ dashboard. However, while sharing the dashboard, we see an alert stating that "the dashboard contains Pro contents and can only be shared with the other Pro Users". Is there a way of addressing this alert and sharing the reports with the non-pro users without purchasing additional 1000 licenses? Any suggestions and guidance are most appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Rohita The long and short of the issue is this; If you use any object, connection, refresh, etc that is considered a Pro level feature in building the reports/dashboards - the end consumer of the report has to have a Pro license.

If you want all your users to only have free, then you need to build everything within those limits.

The only thing you could do is create reports and use the new embed feature in a custom application, but you will still be charged for usage in that scenerio. You can read about that here if you are so inclined.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Rohita The long and short of the issue is this; If you use any object, connection, refresh, etc that is considered a Pro level feature in building the reports/dashboards - the end consumer of the report has to have a Pro license.

If you want all your users to only have free, then you need to build everything within those limits.

The only thing you could do is create reports and use the new embed feature in a custom application, but you will still be charged for usage in that scenerio. You can read about that here if you are so inclined.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Eno...

So how do we know what it is that is a "Pro Feature" that prevents our users from seeing the dashboards we've created? I have a Direct Query to an on-prem database and scheduled it to be refreshed once a day. Nothing too dramatic or complicated.

A similar thread suggested that we might have to create the dashboard as a non-Pro user and schedule it... so how do you toggle "Pro" vs. "Non-Pro" on and off?

I've invested a lot of time and effort in learning Power BI and have jsut started rolling some cool dashboards out to end users. If I cannot do that as a "Pro" developer to Non-Pro users, then as someone else said, "this is a deal-breaker for my company". Might as well switch to Tableau.

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer for your inputs. We are just trying to make sense of either buying additional license just for the viewers, or manually refresh and upload daily reports every day or report stale data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.