Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhd
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing report

I have used to Power Bi to contruct a dataset. The dataset is the sum of many excel files which are imported, cleaned and enriched using power query. I have then published the report containing the dataset to Power Bi on the web.

I have then created a second Power Bi report using desktop which uses the dataset from the 1st report.

I would like to share the second report, not the 1st, with colleagues. Is this possible, and how can I do it?

I have Power BI pro, but my colleagues do not.

I do not want to share the 1st report because I do no want my colleagues to be able to edit (or create their own) the measures and power queries.

Kind regards, James

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @jhd

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @jhd

1. If you only want to share a report without sensitive data, you could try publish to web which does not require a pro license for the consumer. 

2. For normal, if you want to share  a private report to your friend,  you and your friend both need the Pro license.

3. If you have purchase Premium and add your content to Premium, then when you share the content, the receiver could be free user.

For further, you could have a look at the articles below to know more about Free, Pro and Premium licenses.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-free-vs-pro

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI Pro is required for sharing reports or viewing shared reports (unless published to a workspace with Premium capacity).

The only work-around is to share the 2nd report in OneDrive and users can view in Power BI Desktop.

EDIT: thanks for reminding me Publish to Web is an option too, this is disabled in my tenet so I didn't think of it 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors