Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bdpetersen10

Sharing author access

I have a dataset that I work on in PBI desktop and then upload to powerbi.com so that all the consumers have access to the updated reports and dashboards. I have another employee that I would also like to have working on PBI desktop and uploading the report, but I DO NOT want it to upload seperately so that employee has to reshare with all the users and then all the users see duplicated dashboards / reports (mine that I shared with them, and my employees that they shared with them), I would like it to uplaod and overwrite the reports I have uploaded. Basically, I would like it to function as if they are using my Power BI account to upload, however, they would be using their own Power BI account. Is there any way to link accounts like this? Essentially, have 2 users sharing ownserhip of report uploads?

Any help is much appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bdpetersen10, how are you uploading the report to powerbi.com? Are you choosing Publish from within PBI dekstop, or are you going to powerbi.com and choosing Get Data?

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for the reply!

I am publishing from within PBI desktop (and the other user would be publishing in the same way). We are going through an entire IT reconfiguration, so "Get Data" through powerbi.com is not currently an available option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a Pro licenses of Power BI? If so, you can create a group workspace where you and your employee can publish to the same place and overwrite each others' files. If you have a free license, then you will need to have your employee send the updated .pbix file to you and you will need to publish the file.

We currently have the standard PBI licenses.

That is what I suspected, thank you for the information.

I'm still wondering, is it possible that I only upgrade my license, and my employee's license to pro while keeping all of our other users license standard? Would this still allow us to create a workspace to publish to and overwrite eachother's files, while still allowing our existing standard users to consume reports / dashboards the way that they currently do?

Hi @bdpetersen10,

>>is it possible that I only upgrade my license, and my employee's license to pro while keeping all of our other users license standard?

Yes, we can get Pro license individually. You can refer to this article: Purchasing Power BI Pro as an individual.

>>Would this still allow us to create a workspace to publish to and overwrite eachother's files, while still allowing our existing standard users to consume reports / dashboards the way that they currently do?

Assume you and your employee both have Pro license, and have edit permission in the Group workspace. Both you two guys can modify the content in this workspace, include overwrite the report.

But as other users doesn't have Pro license and group workspace content requires Pro license, once you and your employee share the dashboard with other users, they can't access the dashboard.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bdpetersen10 I'm not totally sure - would be a good question to follow up with the Power BI team about.

According to my interpretation of this article, anyone consuming a report that exists in a group workspace would need a Power BI Pro license https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.