Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sharing and filtering reports to non power bi users

hey everyone,
I'm needing to publish a report to non power bi users, that refreshes information during all day, but not everyone can have access to all information on the report, so I need it to be filtered on the opening, and I would like to know if there is a way to do this?
I can't have multiple reports, cause it would end up becoming too many reports.

I've tried with Publish to web, but In the document limitations: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters#considerations-and-t...
it says "Query string filtering doesn't work with Publish to web or Export to PDF."
But I found this online example that actually works:

havin the end of the url with
&Country=Belgium
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZTA5N2VkYWQtYmNiMS00YWFmLWEwZWQtOGY4MmExNTlmZjllIiwidCI6ImMyO...

MarvinConceição_4-1595346595451.png

and the same url with
&Country=Austria
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZTA5N2VkYWQtYmNiMS00YWFmLWEwZWQtOGY4MmExNTlmZjllIiwidCI6ImMyO...

image.png

so I was wondering if there's a way to achieve this, or another way to do this, that would allow me to share and filter my reports to non power bi users, if its necessary to have a special license

thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarvinConceição ,

For my test , Url Filter in:

1. Embed-->To SharePoint Online: Pro to Pro/Premium, cannot use URL filter 

2. Embed-->To website or portal: Pro to Pro/Premium, can use URL filter for example  &$filter= table/column eq ‘xx’ 

3. Embed-->Publish to web: Microsoft Power BI users to anyone, cannot use URL filter 

4. App-->Add : ?filter=table/column eq ‘value’&ctid=xxxxxx

In addition, Table name and column names are case-sensitive, value isn't.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards,

Eyelyn Qin

hey @Eyelyn9 let me see the app method, It cant be pro to pro/premium, cause the final users are not power bi users, thats why I was looking for a solution like the example I sent in the problem description, that one can filter trough the link

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@MarvinConceição Maybe try Power BI Robots. I can't really think of a native way.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

hey @Greg_Deckler, thanks for the fast reply, but I've never used those and I'm not sure of how would that work, can you please give me a small briefing?

@MarvinConceição , when you say nonpower bi report do what share power Bi report a scheduled report like pdf or ppt would be fine ?

hey @amitchandak don't need to be in pdf or ptt, maybe I said it wrong
the ideia is to share the report in a way the users can slice the info they want to see by date or the others existing slicers, but they can only see filtered data according to what kind of user accessing
like the link filters

@MarvinConceição It's a third party, https://powerbitiles.com/?app=PBIRobots

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors