Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mccollough
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing a .xlsx with your team

Hi Everyone!

Quick question
I want to connect to a .xlsx file without having my username in the file path so it the report I'm creating can modified by different users. Currently, every time a new person wants to modify a report that's connected to this file they have to swap our usernames out in the data source settings.

Is there an easy way to do this? 

Things that don't work:
Uploading the xlsx to the workspace (Reports can't connect to more that one Power BI data set at a time)
Uploading the document to a sharepoint document library  (Easier to just change the file path every time)
Shared Onedrive Folder (No way to connect to it from 'Get Data)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @mccollough ,

If I understand the problem right - you have excel, which is locally (on your computer + computers of your colleagues) ?

I would honestly reccommend you to consider Sharepoint. Connecting to Sharepoint folder is a 5 min deal and quite standard procedure. It will also give you the option refresh your data in PBI service, not only on your desktop.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
danielwelch
Resolver II
Resolver II

I would also reccomend connecting to sharepoint either through a sharepoint folder or through a web connection.

Personally I find web connections are less likley to be throttled and are faster on the refresh.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mccollough better would be to have xlsx file on share point or one drive for business and use it from there.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @mccollough ,

If I understand the problem right - you have excel, which is locally (on your computer + computers of your colleagues) ?

I would honestly reccommend you to consider Sharepoint. Connecting to Sharepoint folder is a 5 min deal and quite standard procedure. It will also give you the option refresh your data in PBI service, not only on your desktop.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

For anybody that wants to see how to do this use this video
https://youtu.be/XuLnSYjmsJo?t=337

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.