Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mccollough
Frequent Visitor

Sharing a .xlsx with your team

Hi Everyone!

Quick question
I want to connect to a .xlsx file without having my username in the file path so it the report I'm creating can modified by different users. Currently, every time a new person wants to modify a report that's connected to this file they have to swap our usernames out in the data source settings.

Is there an easy way to do this? 

Things that don't work:
Uploading the xlsx to the workspace (Reports can't connect to more that one Power BI data set at a time)
Uploading the document to a sharepoint document library  (Easier to just change the file path every time)
Shared Onedrive Folder (No way to connect to it from 'Get Data)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Migasuke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @mccollough ,

If I understand the problem right - you have excel, which is locally (on your computer + computers of your colleagues) ?

I would honestly reccommend you to consider Sharepoint. Connecting to Sharepoint folder is a 5 min deal and quite standard procedure. It will also give you the option refresh your data in PBI service, not only on your desktop.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
danielwelch
Frequent Visitor

I would also reccomend connecting to sharepoint either through a sharepoint folder or through a web connection.

Personally I find web connections are less likley to be throttled and are faster on the refresh.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mccollough better would be to have xlsx file on share point or one drive for business and use it from there.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Migasuke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @mccollough ,

If I understand the problem right - you have excel, which is locally (on your computer + computers of your colleagues) ?

I would honestly reccommend you to consider Sharepoint. Connecting to Sharepoint folder is a 5 min deal and quite standard procedure. It will also give you the option refresh your data in PBI service, not only on your desktop.

View solution in original post

For anybody that wants to see how to do this use this video
https://youtu.be/XuLnSYjmsJo?t=337

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power BI October Update 2021.jpg

Power BI Release

Click here to read more about the October 2021 Release!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Teds Dev Camp Oct. 2021 768x460.jpg

Power BI Dev Camp - October 28th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!