Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gatanka
Frequent Visitor

Sharing a report without uploading to workspace

Hi all,

I've got a requirement to share a PowerBI report with an external customer that they can use to interpret the results of an Excel model (which they will also be provided with). The customer will be expected to periodially update the Excel model.

The Power BI report or the Excel model would have to be run locally, i.e., not uploaded to a web-hosted workspace.  Assuming that the customer is using a "pro" or "premium" Power BI licence, is it possible to provide them with a read-only report, i.e, lock the layout/features but allow the user to inerrogate the report and update the underlying data.

As a last resort I am planning on exporting the Power BI template and delivering that along with the accompanying model.  Is there a more elegant solution?

Thank you kindly in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

is it possible to provide them with a read-only report, i.e, lock the layout/features

no, that is not compatible with your other requirements.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Gatanka
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Ibendlin - I thought as much but wanted to put the question out there just in case.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

is it possible to provide them with a read-only report, i.e, lock the layout/features

no, that is not compatible with your other requirements.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.