Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

amirabedhiafi
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Sharing a report with people outside my organization

When I share a report with people outside my organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard. They need a Power BI Pro license, and they have to sign in to Power BI to see the dashboard. After they sign in, they see the shared dashboard in its own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in their usual Power BI portal. They have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future. 

• Can't they edit any content in this dashboard or report?
  • Can they change any filters/slicers available on the reports connected to the dashboard and save their changes?
  • Don't people outside of my organization have the ability  see any data if role- or row-level security is implemented on on-premises Analysis Services tabular models ?
Amira Bedhiafi
Full Stack Business Intelligence Consultant @Capgemini
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"When I share a report with people outside my organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard."

Please clarify.  "Report" and "Dashboard" have a specific meaning in Power BI.

- Nobody can edit content in a dashboard. All you can do is look at the dashboard, and click on the tile which takes you to the underlying report.

- You as the developer have to allow end users to save filter modifications - that is a setting in Power BI Desktop

lbendlin_0-1613259939468.png

- Assuming that your SSAS tabualr model is linked to your company's AD this means that "people outside of my organization"  (whatever that means - some companies include external users in their AD)  will indeed see nothing when RLS is implemented in a way that only AD users can see data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rigensis
Helper I
Helper I

@amirabedhiafi The users outside your organization will not be able to edit anything in the reports you share with them as long as you have not enabled such activities in Power BI Admin portal.

Here's a link to MS docs on where to check if the editing feature is enabled / disabled

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-portal#allow-external-guest-users-to-e...

And here is an excerpt from another MS doc talking about what the users outside the organization are not able to do.

Rigensis_0-1613493868498.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards#share-a-dashboa...

If this helps, please consider marking this answer as the Solution. Thanks!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"When I share a report with people outside my organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard."

Please clarify.  "Report" and "Dashboard" have a specific meaning in Power BI.

- Nobody can edit content in a dashboard. All you can do is look at the dashboard, and click on the tile which takes you to the underlying report.

- You as the developer have to allow end users to save filter modifications - that is a setting in Power BI Desktop

lbendlin_0-1613259939468.png

- Assuming that your SSAS tabualr model is linked to your company's AD this means that "people outside of my organization"  (whatever that means - some companies include external users in their AD)  will indeed see nothing when RLS is implemented in a way that only AD users can see data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.