Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thedon16

Sharing Reports

I want to publish a report I made on my desktop and share it with a colleague.  This is a report, not a dashboard.

It seems absurdly unintuitive to do this. 

Is it possible in the free version, or is Pro needed?

Or is there some way to publish it as a dashboard from the desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Seth_C_Bauer Erm - I would have proposed to publish the report to his own PBI account, create a PBI group, then either a) create content pack and import report into group or b) upload PowerBI file into group.

Did you exclude that on purpose or did I miss sth here? 😮

// Was he referring to the desktop app only? 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Webster147

How you can reel in a significant variety of buyers that use it to stream online media. netflix login Using this technique, you can have amusement any type of time.

Webster147

How you can reel in a significant variety of buyers that use it to stream online media netflix login Using this technique, you can have amusement any type of time.

FrugalEconomist
Helper III
Helper III

I am still unable to share a report. I want to share the report because it has publish to PowerPoint function that the Dashboard is missing. The user has the same domain as me and I've given him a license to PowerBI. Yet, I'm still unable to share reports with him.

@thedon16 

Assuming you understand this: A Dashboard tile when clicked will send the user to your report, where they can see all the pages.

Here are all your options:

1) Send them the PBIX file

2) Read Only Option - push the report to the Service, Pin a visual to a dashboard, and share the dashboard with your colleague.

3) Read/make personal copy - Push the report to the Service, Create a Content Pack with only your report, give your colleague access to the Content Pack, and have him connect to the content pack.

There is no direct capability to share a report in the same "Read Only" way as when viewed via the shared dashboard mechanism.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Seth_C_Bauer Erm - I would have proposed to publish the report to his own PBI account, create a PBI group, then either a) create content pack and import report into group or b) upload PowerBI file into group.

Did you exclude that on purpose or did I miss sth here? 😮

// Was he referring to the desktop app only? 

@Bjoern Thanks for the feedback.

I took the question as it relates to sharing a single report. I look at Groups as collaborative spaces, not spaces to import users and pull things in to the group in whatever manner to "share".

I agree that a workable option would be to pull the file into a Group, and grant the user "view" perms, but I didn't assume that there would be a whole set of reports they should have view ability for.

I did recommend Content Packs as an option, personally I wouldn't recommend using Content Packs in the way you describe primarily due to my view of how to utilize Groups. (Although it may work)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

You're both right - Groups would be an option to share the report specifically, but it's a workaround and not intuitive 🙂 This is something we want to fix in the future! Thanks

Thanks.  I guess I will pin the visuals...

But I still don't understand why aren't reports made sharable like dashboards?  I don't get the reasoning.  It makes the desktop app useless for most business uses basically.

It is ridiculous how hard it is to share a report.

Apps are becoming a pain... it is crazy that a user who has access to the app cannot pin tiles to their OWN dashboard from the shared reports.  I see no logical reason (even business-wise) why this recommendation from the board has not been adopted.

From the beginning of Power Bi I have shared dashboards with pinned tiles from each of the reports so that users can then navigate to the report.  Ultimately, I did this only because it would end up with the end user having the reports populated down the left side menu of reports.

This however, now is not the case.

I have a main user who can no longer view reports and there has been a change in the service to where I can no longer share as I used to (probably because of the apps). 

Apps are not the end all solution.

Please just let us share reports with users (they already have PowerBi licenses....).

To share, you and the receiving user now must have a Pro license for this to work. Alternatively, your organization can lease a premium node and share with any users, even ones with no Power BI.

Jon

To share, you and the receiving user now must have a Pro license for this to work. Alternatively, your organization can lease a premium node and share with any users, even ones with no Power BI.

Jon

Is there any way for a Pro BI License user to share reports/dashboards to Free BI users internally to the organization?  Content would not be suitable for entire web sharing that I see is available.  

If you have the right SQL Server License, you can publish Power BI content to Report Server. It requires a slightly different Power BI desktop version. Of course, now you're paying for a server and a SQL server license. Not sure if any CALs are needed.

While you can use a Power BI Web Part in SharePoint Online and maybe later in SharePoint Internal, they still need a Pro license to view it. Once you get more than 250 Pro licenses issued, you should seriously consider leasing a Premium Node. That lease also entitles you to an on-premise Report Server, so the license cost is covered.

Talk to your account rep.

Jon

@thedon16 Speaking to the Desktop - It might be helpful to think of Power BI in the context of an evolving product. What we see today is more than likely not the end goal. The Desktop is a powerful tool, and if you take a look at the long term plans with SQL 2016 and the roadmap, you can see how MS is leveraging the tool more. I think as the months go by, we'll see more and more capabilities that bring the picture into focus.

Roadmap: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2015/10/29/microsoft-business-intelligence-ou...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.